A "Shop Tips and Specific Problem Solutions" playlist...

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

A "Shop Tips and Specific Problem Solutions" playlist...

Post by LatakiaLover »

...has been added to my YouTube channel.

The first entry is a home-shop-friendly way to cut a 45-degree transition between tenon and stemface, the way Dunhill and some other British factories once did. (They used adjustable hollow mills which are a good high volume / mass production solution, but not reasonable for occasional use.)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... gT0eNbmlA0

More of this sort of thing is planned.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Re: A "Shop Tips and Specific Problem Solutions" playlist...

Post by caskwith »

Interesting video as always.

Since I can't post on the video comments, something to note. You don't need to worry about overheating HSS, you will not ruin the temper as you would on a normal tool steel. So grind away without worry, unless you are holding it in your fingers in which case you might want to cool it now and again for comfort sake.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I actually remember thinking "Chris is gonna get me because I implied HSS is the same as other types of tool steel" the instant I did it. :lol:

I discovered long ago that re-doing videos to fix a few vocal flubs only results in a replacement that has the same number of flubs regarding something else, though, so unless the flub will result in a legit problem for somebody, just let 'em go. They'd never get finished otherwise.

I also realized I put the number for this one --- "29 -1" --- at the end of the title instead of the beginning. (No sooner did an organization scheme get established than I scrambled it... lol) I think titles are editable, though. Not sure---YouTube is often weird about common sense things---but I'll try later today.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

You know it! haha.

The HSS one is a bit of a personal moral crusade for me after I heard of someone throwing away a load of HSS tool and drill bits because they had "blued at the tip" and they assumed were therefore trash, all those tools could have been mine in a workshop clearance but someone "who knew what they were talking about" had been through before me and cleared lots of useful things (they also assumed anything with a bit of rust on it was junk so that was lost as well ).
Since then I have also seen countless videos and forum posts about throwing away tools for the same reason. Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
NPS

Post by NPS »

caskwith wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:43 am You know it! haha.

The HSS one is a bit of a personal moral crusade for me after I heard of someone throwing away a load of HSS tool and drill bits because they had "blued at the tip" and they assumed were therefore trash, all those tools could have been mine in a workshop clearance but someone "who knew what they were talking about" had been through before me and cleared lots of useful things (they also assumed anything with a bit of rust on it was junk so that was lost as well ).
Since then I have also seen countless videos and forum posts about throwing away tools for the same reason. Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
For some reason this reminds me of my early years in the machine shop.........I tried to grind a specific shape of tool with little success....the old boy who came in to have a look clipped me around the back of the head and then explained it was a carbide tip..........made me change the grinder wheel as well!