Pipe #19 - Danish Style Egg

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

Pipe #19 - Danish Style Egg

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hello, pipe makers. I hope life is treating you all very well.
I've had a busy work week this week, but I have gotten around to making a few more pipes, a poker, and a danish style egg.
My wife's grandfather saw a few of my freehand posted on Facebook, and asked if id make him one.
This is what I ended up with. I have been looking at endless pictures on google and on smokingpipes, trying to absorb all that I can.

On this pipe, Ive tried to listen to the critiques given on the last freehand. I wanted to have the front of the bowl and back of the bowl pretty symmetrical, they were very off on the last one.
And a second critique, trying to get amore consistent flow at the stem/shank transition, this was also very off on the last one.

Any comments or critiques are very appreciated. : :D

P.S. I have a billiard very close to complete, and I think this one might have the best bowl shaping that I have done thus far. :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 11.50.52 AM.png
(540.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 10.22.03 AM.png
(975.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 10.18.39 AM.png
(850.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 10.18.25 AM.png
(740.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sickle

Re: Pipe #19 - Danish Style Egg

Post by Sickle »

Beautiful work man! I've seen some of your stuff on the gallery, you're really great!

I like how the bowl, shank, and stem look like 3 separate objects, but still work together
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Particularly, with a shape like this, but really with all pipes, think about a set of French curves. The radius changes but there is always a simple elegant transition, and no unnecessary bends or flat spots. You have a few of those, specifically the bottom line from the bowl into the shank, and another little curve at the top of the shank just before the stem. These probably came from changing your angle as you were sanding. Try a rigid backing board and work on holding your lines, the fewer curves the better.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop using hooty-hoo.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yup, the "holding of the line" is what separates really good stuff from "oh, that was an interesting idea".
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

seamonster wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:58 pm Particularly, with a shape like this, but really with all pipes, think about a set of French curves. The radius changes but there is always a simple elegant transition, and no unnecessary bends or flat spots.
The lines of this horn make an easy-to-see example of what you are talking about:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
brownleafbeardsman

Sickle wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:46 pm Beautiful work man! I've seen some of your stuff on the gallery, you're really great!

I like how the bowl, shank, and stem look like 3 separate objects, but still work together
Thank you for the kind words, my friend. I have a ton to learn but that means a lot!
brownleafbeardsman

Seamonster, Lat, Sas, Thank you guys for that input. That is something I struggled with while shaping the shank. Holding that curve is a bit difficult and it ended up with my edges being rounded over. I was worried about grazing the airway so I didn't want to go further. I'll keep a very close eye on my sanding on my next one to try and do better! Thank you!