Classic English Billiard...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Classic English Billiard...

Post by JMG »

In light of recent thread conversations, I thought I would repost this classic English billiard that I originally posted about three years ago that got ZERO comments/critiques. I really don't understand your apathy, fellas. Not even the first yellow line. My only conclusion is that it was perfect and made you ashamed of your own work.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Re: Classic English Billiard...

Post by LatakiaLover »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

:wink:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Actually, I think that in the right mood, sitting on my porch, watching the smoke do gymnastics inside the clear shank would be exactly the ticket. :D :D :D
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

the question that begs to be asked: why 3 inches of clear tubing and not 30.....?

Sent from my bloopty-bloop using hooty-hoo.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I like the way you think, Mr. Monster, sea-type. 8)
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Okay, okay, funnies aside, some real comments.

I would like to see this design streamlined, meaning, get rid of the extra step-down on the stummel side and the accent ring on the stem side. Make the briar, tube and stem all on the same level. Still with the tenons to fit the rubbing over.

Also, I think you're saddle radius is too straight, I think it needs a little curve over the width of the stem, just like you would have at the button.

I like the shape of the bowl, but I think it asks for a stubbier shank. A taller bowl, I think, would pair better with shank and stem as you currently have.

Have you smoked this thing?? I'd be curious to hear how it performs...

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Maddwarf69

Post by Maddwarf69 »

In all seriousness, and an attempt to work on my "eye" for shapes... What bothers me is that the fairly traditional, and organic, shapes of the bowl and stem are interrupted with a straight-ass piece of tube. Were the tubing shaped in a more blended way, and without the accent ring etcetera that Sea mentioned, maybe. Conversely, more mechanically styled bowl and stem to go with the stark line of the tubing. Still wouldn't be my cup of tea, but perhaps it could be pulled together. Am I way off base in thinking it "could be done", even if it probably shouldn't?
JMG

Post by JMG »

Maddwarf69 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:24 pm In all seriousness, and an attempt to work on my "eye" for shapes... What bothers me is that the fairly traditional, and organic, shapes of the bowl and stem are interrupted with a straight-ass piece of tube. Were the tubing shaped in a more blended way, and without the accent ring etcetera that Sea mentioned, maybe. Conversely, more mechanically styled bowl and stem to go with the stark line of the tubing. Still wouldn't be my cup of tea, but perhaps it could be pulled together. Am I way off base in thinking it "could be done", even if it probably shouldn't?
You're straight ass. This is a perfect English billiard.

JMG

Post by JMG »

seamonster wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:43 pm Okay, okay, funnies aside, some real comments.

I would like to see this design streamlined, meaning, get rid of the extra step-down on the stummel side and the accent ring on the stem side. Make the briar, tube and stem all on the same level. Still with the tenons to fit the rubbing over.

Also, I think you're saddle radius is too straight, I think it needs a little curve over the width of the stem, just like you would have at the button.

I like the shape of the bowl, but I think it asks for a stubbier shank. A taller bowl, I think, would pair better with shank and stem as you currently have.

Have you smoked this thing?? I'd be curious to hear how it performs...

I remember when I made this, looking at it and thinking, "Why did I add that other step down?"

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

JMG wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:30 pm This is a perfect English billiard.

Damn right. :lol:

Perfect English Billiards unite! 8)

Last edited by LatakiaLover on Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

I like it. I imagine a mad chemist pouring chemicals from test tube to test tube. A tattered and stained lab coat. The center tube fills with smoke as his mind wastes away.

If you ever smoked this, I'd be curious to see how yellow that tube got!
JMG

Post by JMG »

brownleafbeardsman wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:47 pm I like it. I imagine a mad chemist pouring chemicals from test tube to test tube. A tattered and stained lab coat. The center tube fills with smoke as his mind wastes away.

If you ever smoked this, I'd be curious to see how yellow that tube got!
I did smoke it a few times and then gave it away as a gift to a friend. It smoked extremely cool and it was neat watching the smoke. The polycarbonate tube cleaned up really easily just by running a paper towel through it. However, it did collect a lot of moisture throughout the smoke.