2nd attempt at an egg

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
shikano53

2nd attempt at an egg

Post by shikano53 »

This is my second try at an egg. The stem/shank intersection isn't the best but I think after emailing back and forth a few time with a friendly artisan, that issue is in the past. Oh, and that's Franklin helping hold the pipe in position.

brownleafbeardsman

Re: 2nd attempt at an egg

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hey, Shikano. I hope you are well, my friend.
In my opinion, it's a big improvement in the lines of the shank and stem.
I think the bowl might look a little more elegant if it didn't have so much of a belly on the front, that's just personal preference though.

I'm not sure if what I am seeing is accurate, but the transition between the bowl and shank looks like there might be some scratches, could just be the angle. This is something that has been a struggle for me. I took a needle file, and wrapped sandpaper around the handle end, where there is a small rubber handle, and that makes for a very good sanding apparatus. This has really helped me to avoid those sanding scratches since it is a very hard area to sand evenly. :)
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Hey thanks BrownLeaf,
I looked at that over my lit 5x magnifying ring and sanded and sanded and sanded and no matter what I did those tiny claws remained. At times I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Moving it into other lighting and I couldn't see anything. So I'm not quite sure why I'm not getting them. I start with 180 grit and work right up to 600 before my test stain goes on.
Next one I make I'll try to take more material off the belly. I've got several 'egg' examples hanging on my low shelf overhang right above my bench and in some of the pics I almost have to imagine I see an egg shape there but now after looking at them for so long I think I'm grasping what the artisans saw and carved.
DMI

Post by DMI »

A couple of things to think about, spirit stain between each grit of paper- the stain remains in the coarse scratches highlighting where you need to sand, if you warm the briar with a hairdryer or heat gun before staining it will dry in seconds. This may sound silly but get an empty egg shell and stik a pen through it to mimic a shank, look how the bottom of the egg intersects with the pen and how well defined the join is.

David