Would Someone Please Tell Me The Proper Placement For the Nub On A Cutty Pipe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
shikano53

Would Someone Please Tell Me The Proper Placement For the Nub On A Cutty Pipe

Post by shikano53 »

I'm attempting to make a Cutty and though I've viewed a ton of them on Smoking Pipes I'm not sure where the nub should be located.
Would someone please enlighten me as to where the correct location would be?
Thanks All
shikano53

Re: Would Someone Please Tell Me The Proper Placement For the Nub On A Cutty Pipe

Post by shikano53 »

Oops, I meant to say Spur!
DMI

Re: Would Someone Please Tell Me The Proper Placement For the Nub On A Cutty Pipe

Post by DMI »

It varies slightly between the centre line of the bowl and the back edge, yours is, in my opinion, slightly too far back. Take time to look at classic shapes by the likes of Dunhill or one of the many pipe shape charts online, I have been known to trace an outline on the screen for use as pattern.
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thank you, I will do so. That seems to be the common comment on the pipes magazine forum as well. Spur needs to move forward. I will do as you commented and have a careful look.
Thanks mate! :-D
DMI

Post by DMI »

I've noticed that you tend to have a bit of a problem with shanks and the bowl junction can I suggest a tool that may help, take a long thin piece of wood slightly wider than the length of the shank, shape one edge to the profile you want at the juction then cover with your prefered sand paper. The width helps to ensure there are no edge dips, where the pressure on the edge of the sandpaper causes it to dig deeper, the shaped edge means you get a consistant join all around the shank. I have also tried lining a tube with sandpaper and sliding it up and down the shank, it works but looks really embarasssing.

If you can replace the stem with a delrin or metal plug (posh name tompion) turned to the size you want the shank for the early shaping stages it can be used as a saddle for one end of the sandpaper file, re-turn between grits to keep it round, then fit the stem at 240-320 grit. Make the tompion as long as practical, the longer the sight line the more accurate you'll be.

David
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks David, yeah, the stem/stummel junction is still something I have trouble with no matter what I do.
Sometimes I get it but a lot of times I don't. It's frustrating as heck.
You wouldn't by chance have a few pictures of what you explained in the above? I find it a lot easier if I have a few pics to help me understand.
If not, I'll print your comment and try to duplicate it.
Thanks again David
Cheers
Chris
DMI

Post by DMI »

I'll have to join the facebook group and do the pics through that or you can pm me an email address here, bear in mind it's 00.23am here, I'm making tampers for the next couple of hours so I'll have time to do something.

David.