Bamboo Questions

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
brownleafbeardsman

Bamboo Questions

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hello, all.
I hope everyone is fantastic.
I have still been making a lot of pipes, and I have been able to sell over 10 so far. :)
Thank you to everyone here who has helped me learn the basics of pipe making, and improving my ability. I will keep pursuing excellence in pipe making.
From now on I will only post my best work in the gallery, as Im sure it gets old commenting on the same persons work over and over lol. :lol:

Anyway, I was wondering about the bamboo process. I've read many of the posts here related to bamboo, I have the process of drilling down and I'm still working on getting the facing operation down. It's difficult as I have a wood lathe, but I am going to start countersinking the faces of the bamboo before I face them, as I read in a previous post.

The main reason I was making this post is I was wondering if there are any tips/tricks with getting the briar down to match the bamboo. I'm sure this process is just a huge amount of time, patience, and practice. But hey, doesn't hurt to ask if there any tips or recommendations.

Thanks, everyone! :D
caskwith

Re: Bamboo Questions

Post by caskwith »

Carefully. There really is no trick to it, just be careful.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

The closer you get, the smaller your file, and the finer the cut.... I like tiny round needle files at a 2 or a 4, also those sort of oval shaped needle files (I know they have a name, but I haven't had any coffee yet....) and go slow.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The best supplier of quality files I know of:

https://www.ottofrei.com/jewelry-tools- ... ools/files
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

It is a laborious process.
I mask the bamboo with tape and am slightly less concerned with marking the bamboo.
Once i begin to touch the tape. I go to a finer file (#4)
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Caskwith, Thank you. That is what I was thinking, just was hoping there was lol!
SeaMonster and LatakiaLover, I'll make sure to start making use of needle files when on this step. The ones I have are not very good, I will check out your recommended site! Thanks.
Doc, yes it's very easy to get those scratches on there. After finishing up this pipe, I found several burnishes/scratches on the bottom portion of the bamboo, and I couldn't recall every grazing it or bumping it. Thank you. You've all recommended small files, this is something I had not previous tried. Thank you all.