English billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sickle

English billiard

Post by Sickle »

first post in a couple of months!

A client wanted a pipe similar to a previous pipe I made, hence some of the design decisions such as the rounded lip around the bowl.

This pipe feels a little disproportionate, the bowl is too large maybe? also, there is a slight wave in the bottom line in the shank that I didn't notice until I looked at the photos.

unfortunately, I feel like the rounded lip looks a little... rookie? not sure why, but it just doesn't feel like it fits with the overall design.

other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. but I'm always open to critique, so be mean! :D

Sasquatch

Re: English billiard

Post by Sasquatch »

Cute little pipe, but not terribly "English" with teh rolled edge on the rim and the slightly Dublin'ed presentation. I have offered a set of lines here showing that if the back of the bowl presents a certain slow curve, the front of the bowl should mimic it, and what you wind up with is a lot more chin: I also knocked off just a little stem length.

As to stem shape and the round button etc, that is stuff only practice and mindful care will allow you to work through. It's very hard to take a thing that's round on one end, taper it, make it oval, and drift it to being essentially flat on the other end, and not have it look like crap in some way. So maybe shooting for a slightly flatter bite zone would help you, and maybe doing the button lip a little differently (less like a Dunhill) would help you in that regard. Spread the button out a little more across the stem.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
brownleafbeardsman

Re: English billiard

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hey, Sickle. I'm not a big fan of that rounded rim, but if it a customer request then I'd say you did a great job on it. I also think that you did a good job on the finishing. It is very rich in color and depth.
I agree with Sas, the top of the tobacco chamber looks a little bit too wide, I think if it came up the way he showed with those lines it would look more elegant. All, in all, I think you've done good job and I'm sure the customer will be happy with this pipe.

Side note: On the button, something that I have found that helps me keep the hard straight lines of the button; Crease a piece of sandpaper, wrap it tightly around the handle of a butter knife, I use one that is rectangular, not rounded. This helps to hold those sharp lines. :)