Introducing.. me!

Tell us who you are.
Peter-RadiantPipes

Introducing.. me!

Post by Peter-RadiantPipes »

Hey everyone,

Years long lurker and user of info. I tried to register many times over the last couple years and it waited for admin approval and nothing ever happened. I tried different emails, different everything. I decide to try once more and now it offered Tapatalk and I’m in. Finally. Longest wait ever for a forum!

Anyway,

I’m Peter. I restore full-time. Working on a primary site but never have the time. I’m restoring every day, all day. I specialize in Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow but also because I know their lines inside and out. I do others of course and want to get to know those brands well too.

I would much rather be making pipes all the time though. I like both but nothing like making one.

Sadly, I live in an ultra pricey town where a 3br small duplex without a garage is $3500 a month… so I have no place for a Lathe. I’ve thought about getting a large shed but that just wouldn’t work. We’re moving soon and I’ll build myself a shop then. In the meantime, I drill some with a press, do some pre-drilled and just however I can work it. It’s the longest wait since I was a kid waiting for Xmas to move and get a lathe and other equipment.

Some of you know me already, I’m sure.

So yeah, thats my intro..took me 2 min to write and 30 to read I’m sure.. sorry.

I’m a newb but here are some hobby blocks I did when I started smoking pipes… I didnt know shapes really.. so these are the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pipe I did.. the latest one is that freehand. My first stab at one. I used dremel, files and sandpaper for all of these and a buffing wheel.. I don’t have pics on this device of the others. Haven’t shaped many.. mostly restore..Image

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage
Last edited by Peter-RadiantPipes on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sasquatch

Re: Introducing.. me!

Post by Sasquatch »

Nice to meet you - you're coming into making pipes carrying something that a lot of guys don't, which is the necessary shop skills, and I don't mean this lightly. Lots of guys are dying to make pipes and throw all kinds of time and money at it and they've never so much as carved a smaller stick of wood out of a bigger one.

So, like my journey, yours is going to be about making things pretty and learning about lines and curves and proportions and stuff rather than about how to sand something smooth or cut something at a certain size. So that's both good news and bad news. Good news is it's a better starting point, bad news is, the aesthetic stuff is probably harder than the technical. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Peter-RadiantPipes

Post by Peter-RadiantPipes »

Thanks for the reply and info. I’ll take it all in. Sorry for any delay replying. I’m back because my Wen bench grinder that I’ve had the Beall system on for 2 years now but the dust. It was entry level but under warranty. They sent me a knew one fast. Now this one is already overheating and smells of burnt oil after ten minutes on. I’m calling them back tomorrow. The first took a year of lots of work to get to that failure.

I am trying to figure out what to get to both buff, wax and sand since I throw a sanding disc on as well. People have said old motors but there’s not a lot online for that. I was looking at some others. I need something I can run for half an hour or an hour at a time. Not sure what you guys use outside of a lathe for that…
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hey, Peter. Good to meet you and welcome!
As Sas said, you are starting with a good bit of knowledge and that's a huge plus.
When starting, I had some prior shop knowledge but not very much, only basic around the house handy stuff lol.

Hope to see some of your work, friend!