CKelly

Tell us who you are.
CKelly

CKelly

Post by CKelly »

Hi guys, My name is Chris. Thanks for adding me. I started making pipes about 8 months ago and until then have been making them without a lathe. I just purchased a Shop Fox m1049 9x19 lathe and am looking for any advice regarding making pipes with a lathe.

Thank you!!
DocAitch

Re: CKelly

Post by DocAitch »

HI Chris,
Welcome.
I did a quick answer for your lathe question for your other post.
There is no short quick course on lathe operations for pipe making.
There is a lot to learn about using a lathe and I suggest looking at a few videos on lathe turning to get a general idea and get started.
After that, practical experience and searching out solutions to each specific aspect/problem that you encounter is the way. You can, for instance, ask about specific speeds for a task and get some answers, but actually using the machine to perform the task and solving each issue is the way I learned.
I have been using a lathe for years and am continually learning or figuring out better ways to do stuff.
Good luck.
DocAitch aka Walt Hettinger
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
CKelly

Post by CKelly »

Thanks Walt. My issue at the moment is setting up a chuck for turning the stummel. I think I need a nova chuck (I bought the jaws from Vermont freehand) I'm just having trouble finding an adapter to fit my m39 x 4 spindle to the one inch Nova chuck. I thought I could just put them on the 4 jaw Chuck it came with, but I realize that won't work.
brownleafbeardsman

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hey, Chris. Welcome!
Awesome lathe you got there. You might've seen some of my posts on the FB group as well, Josh Anderson.
Excited to see some stuff you put out!
CKelly

Post by CKelly »

Thanks! In the process of converting my four jaw chuck to turn stummels. Lots of learning to be done, but that's part of the fun!