Sanding pad

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
CKelly

Sanding pad

Post by CKelly »

I'm trying to find a hook and loop sanding pad that will fit my Beall arbor, can't seam to find one anywhere. Anyone else run into a similar problem and find a solution? Tia
Asher

Re: Sanding pad

Post by Asher »

I haven't seen anything with a long enough bolt for the Beall arbor. Have you looked at the arbor from Vermont Freehand? The arbor is only $17, and 5" pads with the 5/16-24 bolt are really cheap widely available, so you can have one for each grit.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I use a chuck, much better than a threaded connection IMO as you can put anything in there.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

This sounds like it is similar to what Chris is using.
This is a cheap Jacobs's chuck (~$20) threaded onto an arbor (<$10) holding the threaded shaft of a 5” disc in the first photo.
The second photo shows the motor arbor- I have since changed the clamping screws to allen screws.
The last photo is a 6” sanding pad that accepts the adhesive backed discs that I use for shaping
I have had the pad come loose in the chuck once in the 6 years I have used this set up.

ocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Pretty much. I have added arbours to my sanding pads so I am not clamping onto the threads but the basic premise is the same.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Yes- it initially bothered me a bit to clamp onto threads, but I will probably not ever need an orbital sander.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy