My first briar

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Peecis

My first briar

Post by Peecis »

Hello, its me again.
Got my hands on some briar, finally. What a frustrating jouney its been :D F the sand pits :D
Here is my first briar billiard and my first acrylic stem and my first teflon tenon. Also first time using carnauba wax.
I know there are a lot of faults in this briar thats why Im probably gonna redo this pipe and rusticate it (also for the first time). I just wanted to see how the carnauba wax fineshes. Also Im aware you can see the teflon trough the stem.
Crique on the overall shape and proportions is what im looking for.
Thank you in advance!
P.s
The shank shrunk a bit, both stem and shank were the same size but now they are not. I thought maybe it was because I didnt let the briar sit for a period of time in my shop but same thing has happened to my previous billiard and that piece of wood sat in my shop for atleast 2 years. Any advice of how to avoid this? Or maybe the wood will swell back up when the pipes are regularly smoked?
ImageImage
Puff Puff... Puff
JMG

Re: My first briar

Post by JMG »

I mean, if you are wanting to go for a classical billiard, then there are definitely some things that would need to be changed. That said, however, for what it is, the proportions are really nice. Personally, I'm really enjoying the more dramatic taper from the shank/bowl transition to the stem. I'm not totally sure what I'd call this shape. Billiard? Yes. The bowl is definitely a billiard. But that shank taper almost lends this to something different, just not sure what. But whatever it is, it works for me. If it were me, I wouldn't rusticate this pipe. Sand pit or no sand pit, it looks nice. Just smoke it and enjoy it darkening with age. As far as the shank "shrinking," I've not had this happen except for when pipes had been left outside and exposed to humidity, but that results in swelling, not shrinking. Sorry I can't help you there. Stem shaping looks nice as well. I like the flare. Well done, bud. Keep at it.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Peecis

Post by Peecis »

JMG wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:32 am I mean, if you are wanting to go for a classical billiard, then there are definitely some things that would need to be changed. That said, however, for what it is, the proportions are really nice. Personally, I'm really enjoying the more dramatic taper from the shank/bowl transition to the stem. I'm not totally sure what I'd call this shape. Billiard? Yes. The bowl is definitely a billiard. But that shank taper almost lends this to something different, just not sure what. But whatever it is, it works for me. If it were me, I wouldn't rusticate this pipe. Sand pit or no sand pit, it looks nice. Just smoke it and enjoy it darkening with age. As far as the shank "shrinking," I've not had this happen except for when pipes had been left outside and exposed to humidity, but that results in swelling, not shrinking. Sorry I can't help you there. Stem shaping looks nice as well. I like the flare. Well done, bud. Keep at it.
Thanks! I will definitely keep at it!
Puff Puff... Puff
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Looks well executed overall. It's definitely a billiard. While the sharply tapered shank to stem is not outside of the acceptable billiard guidelines, it's less common. Such choices will often divide pipe enthusiasts where some will like and maybe even prefer it while the rest will prefer the more traditional style. If the goal is to appeal to as many enthusiasts as possible, such choices are detrimental. I, for one, am on the other side of the coin from JMG. I personally find the sharp taper jolting and ungraceful and prefer a more traditional taper. That being said, such design choices are fine depending on your end goal.

Briar is a very dense wood and if properly processed and cured shouldn't shrink after shaping causing a noticeable difference is shank and stem size. There is likely something else going on with your shaping and finishing process. It's really hard to say without knowing your process. Do you shape the shank and stem with the stem always in place? Do you rotate the stem occasionally while shaping? Are there any parts of your finishing and shaping process where the wood is exposed to severe temperature changes or moisture? Are you using water based stains? Acrylic is much harder than briar compared to ebonite. Depending on your technique, sometimes overly aggressive sanding and filing at the transition can remove more briar than acrylic.

I agree with what others have said, you have a ton of natural talent and even more potential. Keep up the good work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com