Kr0lex

Tell us who you are.
Kr0lex

Kr0lex

Post by Kr0lex »

Years a pipe smoker: about 10 years

How you got into pipe making:
I was never really into woodworking and craftsmanship, but when I got a job at a school here in Austria I was also asked to teach some woodworking lessons at our school so I had to spend time in the school workshop in order to prepare lessons for kinds and to not emberass myself in front of them. At first I was not really a fan of these lessons but after some time I really started to enjoy that and also enjoy making some smaller stuff for myself and as presents. That was also the time i got more and more into pipe smoking. That means I also started to buy my first handmade pipe and I really got hooked by that. After sometime I realized that I have to be careful not to spend too much money on that hobby. Unfortunately by getting deeper and deeper into that hobby I also got very picky about new pipes. In short terms: the pipes I wanted got more and more expensive :) So during the Corona Lockdown in 2021 the idea of making my own pipes grew on me. I somehow couldn't get rid of the idea anymore and after a few months of watching Youtube videos and tutorials about pipemaking (which by the way look faaaar to easy :banghead: ) I couldn't resist on buying a Metal Lathe which was rather naive action because I had never even seen one in real life before. Still I was super motivated and tried to drill and form the first cheap blocks of briar and ebonite rods. You can imagine it was horrible at the beginning and it still is very hard for me (even though I think I am making small improvements), but I got completely hooked by that whole process and enjoy every minute in my workshop. It's almost a therapeutic thing for me, especially when i am seeing some improvements :)

Other interesting facts:
I'm also a lot into sports. Playing Tennis and Tabletennis on a regular competitive basis and football/soccer as a hobby :)

Now I just want to say Hello to everyone and thank you for all the information which can be found here. I am really looking forward to reading through everything the following weeks :D
Attachments
IMG_8469-2.jpg
My very first pipe :)
(793.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_2566-4.jpg
(877.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_2906.jpg
(795.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3107.jpg
(832.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3698-4.jpg
(954.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Tom Fitzgerald

https://www.instagram.com/kroisspipes/
DocAitch

Re: Kr0lex

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome to the forum.
I must say that the pipes that you presented in those photos are quite impressive, especially for a self taught craftsman.
Roughly when in your learning process did you make those- i.e. ~how many weeks/months elapsed between the time you started your first pipe and the time that you produced the ones in the photo, especially the last 3 ?
They are quite nice.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Kr0lex

Post by Kr0lex »

Hello DocAitch,
first off thank you for the nice welcome and moreover thank you very very much for these kind words. I really appreciate that a lot.
Well I guess self taught nowadays is little bit misleading since there is so much information on the internet. Thanks to you and many others. :thumbsup: I would rather say i did loads of research on that whole topic (not enough here tho) and watching probably thousands and thousands of pipes to be honest. I am also quite happy that before I decided to make them my own I bought one pipe of Tom Eltang and one of Mike Sebastian Bay which help me more than in terms of making than i smoke them.

But yeah the beginning was still super super frustrating since things look so easy and automatic on videos from guys like Jeff or Former and I myself had to find out where to even start that lathe :lol: I started with about 5 blocks, with four of them being completely wasted cause i didn't know how to get them into the briar chucks, which also were pretty expensive. Number 5 was my first pipe then in April 2021. Then I didn't do so much till the summer holidays were i tried out more and more and got a little bit better. I am basically more active in that hobby when there are school holidays here. In the following months (school again) I made more pipes but never more than one in a month until the summer holidays of 2022 so this summer where I really got into it more and more. That is when the second third and fourth pipe where born. Then school started again and the last pipe of the five was made during the christmas holidays. Here are 3 more which are kind of on the bench and to be finished the following weeks. Slowly starting to get faster. But I am very much aware that i am still in the very beginning of all that. I truly enjoy it a lot tho :D
Attachments
IMG_3734.jpg
On the bench :)
(893.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet

UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Impressive! Welcome to the forum!
Kr0lex

Post by Kr0lex »

Thanks a lot :D

DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Well, I am very impressed.
You have to be a self starter and persistent to learn a craft from videos and posts.
I am looking forward to seeing those last 3.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Kr0lex

Post by Kr0lex »

Thank you very very much, Doc.
I am really just trying to get as much information as possible and copy what i see and read. However the information here is really overwhelming. Really really reading a lot these days. Can't wait to try out new things I am learning... Just crazy motivated to learn and improve :mrgreen: