Papawhisky

Tell us who you are.
Papawhisky

Papawhisky

Post by Papawhisky »

Real name: Pat Leonard Age: 62 Location: Ontario, Canada Years a pipe smoker: 40+ off and on

How you got into pipe making: Am just starting out, literally. I am currently scouring the internet for information and I just ordered the book "PIMO’s Guide to Pipe Crafting at Home". I know there are lots of people out there with advise, good and bad, and I am very aware of how to sift through it to filter out most of the bad. :mrgreen:

Other interesting facts: I retired from the Royal Canadian Air Force in 2019 after 40 years of service along with some medical issues which limit the things I can do. I have been an avid woodworker all my life so I have most tools required except for the specialty ones (which I will obtain along the way). I am also an avid book reader and music lover. :rockon:
DocAitch

Re: Papawhisky

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome.
This is the best source of pipe making information on the web.
Become familiar with the search function. It will help you focus your questions, and avoid unnecessary ones..
Check out the Gallery- read entire threads so that you can get an idea of what the experienced pipe makers consider to be important
Wear your big boy pants when you ask for a critique. Sometimes its not easy finding that your best piece has problems, but thats how you learn.
Be patient. This forum is not as active as it was before FB, but your post will be answered.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy