Falcon Pipe Thread dies

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Thorsrevenge1

Falcon Pipe Thread dies

Post by Thorsrevenge1 »

Hey everyone. I'm a Blacksmith by trade and amateur pipe maker. I love Falcon Pipes but hate the factory bowls. The custom bowls are so much better, except for how we have to attach them. While the various methods do work they are nothing compared to the factory threads. To that end a friend and I have spent the last year developing and prototyping a Falcon Thread tap & die. We have succeeded far beyond what we could have hoped for. To that end we wanted to make them available to the pipe making community. You can see my original post of the success on the pipe makers Facebook page. If anyone is interested we are taking preorders for the dies at this time. They will be precision machined from 4140 hardened steel with 1/4-28 threaded holes in the sides to add handles for hand threading. However they work amazingly well chucked up in a multi jaw chuck. Dies will run $160 apiece with a 6-8 week turn around for each batch. The batch minimum is 8. So we would need 8 orders before the order gets filled. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.
TreverT

Re: Falcon Pipe Thread dies

Post by TreverT »

Have you got a first order full yet?
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

For a measly $160 I'd be willing to bite on this.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Have you got a picture of the threads the die makes on briar?
Thorsrevenge1

Post by Thorsrevenge1 »

caskwith wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:43 pm Have you got a picture of the threads the die makes on briar?
I don't as of yet I'm out of briar currently
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Ok, i'd be interested to see when you do. I have threaded briar for some projects and found the results to be rather rough with the briar tending to "chip out". Falcon threads appear to be milled rather than cut to avoid this.
Thorsrevenge1

Post by Thorsrevenge1 »

received_809523657395575.jpeg
(914.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Here are two bowls made by Chris at Copper Beard Pipe Works (left, middle) compared to an older factory falcon. He has them completely dialed in now using the falcon thread die. It would also seem making the threaded area a bit long compared the the falcon allows it to seal without the use of an o-ring or gasket. Chris was the first shop to purchase a die and has turned out some amazing bowls with it.
Thorsrevenge1

Post by Thorsrevenge1 »

Trying again to get the images of bowls made with the die to load
Attachments
received_809523657395575.jpeg
(914.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet