Switching lathes…

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Sebastian Heck

Switching lathes…

Post by Sebastian Heck »

Have been thinking about adding real "wood turning capabilities" to my process...
Any of you out there using both a metal lathe (for drilling) and a wood lathe (for shaping) or using a tool rest for turning tools on the metal lathe?
Would love to hear about your set-up or workflow.
I know some are putting a steel bar into the tool holder of the metal lathe as tool rest... I'd love to see it.
If you're switching lathes in the process, how do you keep everything centered? Do you re-chuck the stummel or use only one chuck on both lathes etc.?
Thanks!
Massis

Re: Switching lathes…

Post by Massis »

I've mainly used a long carbide turning tool in my multifix tool holder as a tool rest for a small wood turning chisel. It's not safe, but it works.

The easiest way to switch lathes if you wanted to (though it's probably a bad idea), is to either ensure both lathes have the same headstock thread so you can screw the chuck onto both, or to clamp your wood turning chuck in the metal lathe's 3 jaw by it's thread adapter (if it has one, like the oneway chucks).

rechucking your stummel will ALWAYS cause alignment issues, however small.
Sebastian Heck

Re: Switching lathes…

Post by Sebastian Heck »

Massis wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:53 am I've mainly used a long carbide turning tool in my multifix tool holder as a tool rest for a small wood turning chisel. It's not safe, but it works.
Thanks Massis! I've found a tool rest specifically for my multifix holder. I'll start with that one and see how it works!