Fine Pipes Halcyon and Paragon Wax is no more

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
Goose55

Fine Pipes Halcyon and Paragon Wax is no more

Post by Goose55 »

I think his name was Samuel Goldberg and he created these pipe waxes himself and they were great. But for the longest time now, it seems he is no longer with us.

I used the Halcyon Wax for sandblasted and rusticated pipes. A liberal amount applied with a tooth brush and then a hair drier to melt it in and harden it. Brilliant shine and tough as nails.

Mark Tinsky said he uses Bullseye Amber Shellac on his blasted/ rusticated pipes so I bought some and will give it a try

But I'm still trying to replace the Paragon Wax for the smooth pipes. Vermont Freehand has both block and powered Carnauba. I wonder if I can use the powdered, and if so how?

BTW, I'm new here, so a big hello to everyone!
DocAitch

Re: Fine Pipes Halcyon and Paragon Wax is no more

Post by DocAitch »

Hi Goose
Welcome. This forum is a bit slow these days, but you will eventually get a response.
The hard carnauba sold by Vermont Freehand is generally applied to a smooth pipe with a buffing wheel. With a pipe under construction, the surface is buffed with Tripoli, then White Diamond, then the wax is applied. The wax melts from the friction of the wheel as it is applied.
The powdered carnauba is used for rusticated and sand blasted surfaces. I brush it on, then melt it with a heat gun (a bit more heat than a hair dryer). I then brush it vigorously with a fingernail brush with shortened bristles.
George Dibos (Latakia Lover on this forum) has experimented with microcrystalline wax preparations and his initial findings were positive. You should br able to find those posts in the appropriate section.
I also use shellac on blasted pipes, but I brush a thinned (<1lb cut) on with a fingernail brush (with shortened bristles) in a French polish sort of way and that produces a semigloss sheen. I then apply the powdered carnauba as described. I then brush it again with a clean fingernail brush.
Enjoy the forum
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
DocAitch

Re: Fine Pipes Halcyon and Paragon Wax is no more

Post by DocAitch »

This is the discussion on Microcrystalline wax.
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=12621
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy