POOK took ADVICE

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Rob,

I think you're right. Mostly, they say a good pipe is made by chopping everything off, that doesn't look like a pipe. I know the urge to make something that at least does not look like a pipe you can see every day. So adding something or even anything unseen (mis)leads us most of the times on that way to an individual shape. On the other hand: invention of new shapes or design details only works that way. But if we come to realize, that it does not work?
For the foot: Would it really stand solid on that foot? It seems, the smoker would still have to handle it very carefully, when setting it down. Or was it meant to be some collector's item just to be glued to some presentation shelf? So if it doen not add any design or pratical attribute – there it goes…
For that dingly thing at the rim: Hmm. Looks like some extra-extra-bling-bling. The rim itself is already unusual to some extent. I would not like it personally, but leave that rim design. But adding something on top somewhat irritates the eye. Which detail is the one to be the most important? And: Is that space for the thumb between bowl and shank really wide enough to hold it comfortably? Looks small to me. So after all: I would take that off, too.
Then you have a pipe with an unusual rim, with some stem inlay, and with an unususal stem/mouthpiece proportion. Still three things to make it look different from a real everyday grab-basket thing. I (personally) do like those very short mouthpieces very much!
And if it still feels chunky after (if you do so) removing those two prtototype add-ons, then go for the wood while maintaining the proportions, and you might end up with something you like. I say "you might", since I have some different stadiums of pipes hidden on my bench, that still have to go through that process, or have gone through, and still don't satisfy me. I think, that's the way it goes…
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
Nick

Post by Nick »

The bowl looks nice, and i lime the little ornaments you've added. The clunky side seems to me to be the stem. Perhaps if you tapered it more, it would loose some of the bulk that gives it the clunky feel.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Somthing lik this bud:

ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I think that you are just trying to do too many things at once with it. Simplicity is usually the best way to go. Then combination of the foot, fin, plateax top, and dominant stem treatment is saying too many things at the same time. Ever heard of the TV show The View? On it there are 5 woman loudly talking about 5 different topics all at the same time. You don't want to tell a joke that has more than one punch line.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Pooka,

My thoughts are that I would tighten up the stummel/shank junction, make it more refined. I would also tone down the stem...over the complete length of it, give a more dainty feel. I would then re-evaluate the pipe overall and then take a good amount of time hand sanding from about 220 up, maybe even 100 up.

I would leave everything else for the time being and see what evolves after you have honed the junction and stem.

That's the input I have to through into the hat.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

That shank and stummel transition refinement would do some for good. Go for that. But I fear, the feeling of those extras (esp. the foot) beeing somewhat alienish on that design might even become more obvious.
I pretty much agree with John. Those pipes we adore when we look speechlessly at those pics sure may have some more gimmicks than we put on our things. So it is not necessarily the lesser quantity of design details, but it's the hierarchy of it all.
If a joke is bit longer, then it might have some laughs before the final punchline to sweep you off your chair. But if so, they have to serve that final objective, an must not compete!
An eye-catcher has to have some sort of focus and everything else only supports. Your design tries to have two. From all I know, that hardly works in speech, in grafic desing, so why should it on briar?
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I like the stem the way it is. I think the tiny little stem at the end of the large extension is nice. I'd eliminate the stummel "extras" and concentrate on the that stem and then crispen the stummel/shank transition.
flix

Post by flix »

Pooka,
Don't care for the stain. I like the shape. It looks like one of the "New Berlin" pipes I've seen lately, or even some from Paris, can't recall exactly.
Sorry, you asked for opinions! You can give it back to me on my Loquat pipe once that's done! ;)
flix

Post by flix »

Hey, Pook. Good news about the stain, in person that is, and selling it also. I'm in a "natural" phase right now, no stains, esp. in walnut. But, for future reference, what type stain did you use to get a blueish tint?
Thanks bro,
--Mike
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

flix wrote:But, for future reference, what type stain did you use to get a blueish tint?

hmm... blue perhaps? :D :P :angel:

Just givin' you a hard time. You can get analine dyes in blue, FYI. I've used it before for a custom pipe. I didn't care for the blue, the owner thought it was the greatest thing since pipe 'baccy.

Whatever...
flix

Post by flix »

flix wrote:
But, for future reference, what type stain did you use to get a blueish tint?

hmm... blue perhaps? Very Happy Razz Angel

Just givin' you a hard time. You can get analine dyes in blue, FYI. I've used it before for a custom pipe. I didn't care for the blue, the owner thought it was the greatest thing since pipe 'baccy.

Whatever...

Moser's greenish peacock blue aniline. Great stuff. I'm sticking with the brand, too.
So there, Ben! I didn't think it was just "blue"!

Anyhoo, I'm not sure I would use it for a pipe, but, a tamper...woah, Nelly!?! That might just be the ticket!