How do you repair holes or imperfection on the stumel?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Tano

How do you repair holes or imperfection on the stumel?

Post by Tano »

High everyone! this is my first posting and I'm happy to announce that I have completed my first pipe. I could not have done it without the help of this forum, so thank you all.
My first question:what material do you use to patch a hole or other imperfection? I know that rustication hides a lot of these problems, but I didn't want to go there on my first pipe. I'm just happy to have completed it.
Best to all, Tano
Nick

Post by Nick »

Wood putty or wood glue mixed with briar dust. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather see a flaw than a fill.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I use a medium thick "super glue" that you can get from Woodcraft.com and mix it with briar dust. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=346

But I'm like Nick, if the flaws are not big, I leave them alone. Those for whom I have made some custom pipes rather like the natural look of the grain without the fills.

If you sell pipes with fill, disclose that to the buyer however. It might lower the price but it will raise your reputation.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Two pipes I made for friends had some spots on them that, given the time, I could have worked around and/or completely gotten rid of. In one case, it added so much character to the pipe that the guy who now owns didn't want me to do anything to it.

In the second case, almost exactly the same thing.. except he asked me to "distress" other areas on the stummel in a similar fashion so it kind of matched up.. he actually LIKED the flaw.. weird..
Tano

Post by Tano »

Thanks for the comments. I see what you mean. I agree that the patching looks unatural, and it makes a lot of sense to leave the imperfections as part of the character.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

You will find that that sentiment is not a widespread sentiment among pipe makers though. But as one friend said, a pipe is a work of art and you are the artist, so you are the final arbitor of what you like. Now if other's like it, that's another story.

I like wood's natural character and flaws, whether making a table or pipe.
Last edited by LexKY_Pipe on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Jedidah

Post by Jedidah »

Does anyone ever use coloured epoxy? I understand that you can get dye for epoxy to make a durable fill, although i must admit i have never done it. I have seen nearly invisible fills done with this method on a gun stock however.

Personally i almost always leave my imperfections on my pipes. The majority of my customers like the naturalness and the character it adds.

Jedidiah
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

The problem is with everything used to patch or cover a flaw, no matter how nearly invisible, will become visible as the briar darkens as it is smoked. I bought a very nice looking light colored pipe a few years ago that looked flawless, as I've smoked it and it darkened a filled flaw showed its ugly head. I would have rather seen the flaw to start with as a light spot showing now. But thats just my opinion.
David