Forstner Bit Question

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
hazmat

Forstner Bit Question

Post by hazmat »

I usually do most of my block prep by hand prior to drilling, but I'm looking for some time-savers. In regards to forstner bits, what is the maximum size I would possibly need? I don't want to spend $$ on items I'll never use, so I'm thinking anything larger than 1.5" is wasted money. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use a 1-1/4" bit to square rod, shanks, and the tops of stummels prior to drilling. Anything more than that would be wasted, I think. There are times that I wanted something larger, perhaps 1-3/4, but that's maybe been twice over my entire production of pipes.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

So you're using the one size for all those operations? That's what I kind of figured. Woodcraft has a 7-piece set for sale at $9.99, but it only goes up to 1"... beyond that, being that I have to have it shipped the price works out to nearly $17 when it's all said and done. I'd rather save that extra loot for something fun... like some tobacco. Thanks for the info.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Just a side note: Most Forstner bits are not precision instruments. I struggled for a while with grooves and ugly things on the ends of shanks and rod stock, but when I found a precision ground bit at Woodcraft, I jumped on it. It's *far* better than anything else I've used.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I'll keep that in mind. I don't mind spending money on a worthwhile piece of equipment, but I don't see any point in wasting cash on equipment I'll either never use or only ever use one time. If I don't need various sizes of forstners and a 1.25" will do all I need it to do, then I'm a happy camper. Thanks, Kurt..
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

A good forstner bit is a must. Don't buy a 9.99 set. They won't be as precision as if you buy a good brand forstner individually. Because it can be used for various parts of pipe making as mentioned by Kurt, it will be well worth the funds spent on it. A precision one will run in the fifteen dollar range.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Jedidah

Post by Jedidah »

Once again my curiosity makes me look foolish and perhaps naive.... But what do y'all do with a bit that big? I'm not sure my creative faculties can imagine a element of the pipemaking which uses a one and a half inch bit.
I admit I am relatively inexperienced after all

..... or am i reading 1.5" wrong?

Jedidiah
Jedidah

Post by Jedidah »

K sorry, never mind me. It appears that my reading skills are what is lacking. After reading the posts again I understand the uses. Ahh the wonders of the drill press and lathe!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

A forstner bit that big is used for facing, not drilling.

Rad
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I picked one up over the weekend.. somewhere in the $16 range if I remember. It works wonderfully. No more "sand and squint" prior to drilling.

I also picked up some backing pads with mandrels on them for sanding on the lathe. Wow.. what a huge difference!! And all this time, I've been rough-shaping with a coping saw and files.. phew... what a time-saver! :thumb: