Need some boxwood

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
tomgjone

Need some boxwood

Post by tomgjone »

Hi,
Does anybody know where I can get some boxwood blanks or blocks?
I would like to try to do some inlays. Does it come in pen blanks or what is the best way to buy it?
Is there anything I need to know about working with it? I understand the wood is pretty hard. I sure like the looks of it.
Thank You
Tom
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

The boxwood I have I got from Woodcraft.com. They don't have any listed on their site when I checked last week. There's a guy who posted in the "Raw Material" forum about having some but I haven't been able to contact him. Email address is boxwoodreseller@yahoo.com and his URL is http://www.geocities.com/boxwoodreseller

The dust carries a health risk--more so than breathing other wood dust--respirator is a must along with dust collection. Google it and you'll get more info.

As far as working with it normal tools are all you need--it machines very well and polishes really easily.

Dave
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

What's the health risk? Do you have any more info? A friend's son comes over and cleans my shop on the weekend for cash and should I use this material, I don't want to put him at any risk.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I'd only buy from the boxwood reseller post if you're going to place a significant order. Otherwise, it's probably not worth it. Most exotic wood suppliers have a $100 or so minimum order, so you will probably do well to order from Woodcraft. I believe their old price was $12 per pen blank, but I could be wrong. It's pricey stuff, but it's very nice.

It's also worth noting that the quality of the wood varies significantly. I have some boxwood that I purchased in turning blanks that is very dense, but it does take up a little stain. I have a half log that has been air curing for over 75 years that is so dense that you cannot discern the fibers. Its appearance is very waxy and does not absorb stain. The latter is far superior in quality to the former, but I have no idea where to get more.