Brad Point Bits??

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hazmat

Brad Point Bits??

Post by hazmat »

I keep seeing these mentioned in different posts so I had myself a look-see over at bitsnbores.com.... now I'm curious as to what the folks who are using them are using them for?? Any help? Thanks in advance..

matt
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I use a brad point to drill my mortise in the shank, currently. When I get the lathe setup the way I want, I will move to an end mill for this operation.

I also use a brad point on the airhole, for no particular reason, just what I use.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

What's the benefit of this type of bit? From what I read at bitsnbores, it sounds like it leaves a very clean hole after drilling... without seeing one in action, or having it described by someone who's used one, I'm at a bit of a loss.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Well, the main function of this type of bit, is that it leaves a square bottom hole. From what I have seen though, an end mill is a bit cleaner, but I can't complain about the brad points that I have been using. They have served me well.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

They seem to wander less and leave a flat bottom. They also are used without a pilot hole. A pilot hole will make the drill go screwy so you must drill your mortise first before your airway.

A possible drawback is that they leave a ring at the bottom of the hole where the spurs are. I have not found it to be a problem but other guys think it is unsightly.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thanks for the info, fellas... do you go after these bits the same way you do a forstner? I.E. get a decent bit and not a $9.95 set as the tooling will be inferior?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

You know, I think I lucked up. I bought one of those $9.95 sets from Harbor Freight and I really have not had any trouble with them. But I would recommend just getting the sizes you need and spending the extra dough to get nicer, more precise ones.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thanks, Bryan... extra dough is always welcome in my pipe materials fund... guess it's off to Lowe's again this weekend for me :D
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I have bought all of my bits from www.leevalley.com and found them to be wonderfull.