Unwanted "trash" wood?

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
CTMachinist

Unwanted "trash" wood?

Post by CTMachinist »

Does anyone with a kind, giving soul have any wood that is of no use to them? Briar, walnut, cherry, whatever. Just scraps at least 1" cube and up are what I'm looking for - but only if it's truly trash to you.

I've hand carved a oak pipe, I think I've caught the bug. I don't want to go ahead and find that briar is really hard to carve compared to other woods after buying a big chunk of it, I'd rather find out on a tiny piece.

I'm not truly expecting anyone to give me wood for free, but I can sure hope! :angel:
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Just get yourself some briar and have at it. It's no more difficult to work with than what you've already worked with.
CTMachinist

Post by CTMachinist »

Here's hoping! I'll order some from one of the suppliers. Which would you recommend?
CTMachinist

Post by CTMachinist »

Went to order from Pipe Makers Emporium.... $100 first time order? 8O No thanks.

I'll order from Pimo.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Try Mark Tinsky. He's a good sourse.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Yeah.. either go PIMO or Tinsky. Get yourself an ebauchon block first to work on, save plateaux until you get comfortable with the stuff.
CTMachinist

Post by CTMachinist »

Seems to me that Pimo and Tinsky have the higher prices, with the Emporium being the best. I may just order $100 worth to get the better prices overall.
flix

Post by flix »

go to the JHLowe site:
http://www.jhlowe.com/briar.htm

get the seconds "six-pack":
*Small Block Seconds (B-7 & Smaller) Six /Unit B-S-S $18.00

and go to town...
custom300

Post by custom300 »

I found posted on here http://www.tenonworks.com They have 50 year old briar. I bought a couple a ebauchon blocks for I think 10.00-11.00 a piece or something like that.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie