Metal lathe options

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
LexKY_Pipe

Metal lathe options

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

In building a tool inventory, what is the basic tenon turning device that is most used? A tenon tool like PIMO's? A metal lathe like the Taig or Cummins?

Just curious as to what people are using for their precision lathe-type work.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

People use both. A few of us even use a wood lathe. Kurt Huhn is my hero!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You know, ever since I discovered Delrin, I haven't turned a tenon anywhere - wood lathe or otherwise. :?

While it *can* be done, I've found that using delrin is much quicker than a wood lathe. It takes a *very* steady hand to do this on a wood lathe.

If you're not already an NASPC member, join now and get the newsletters with a series of articles by yours truly on pipe making. Next article (or two, depends on available space) is on the tools that pipe makers use. Not in exrutiating detail, mind you (not enough space in for that) but enough to get people started thinking.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

You're still my hero Kurt.

Although I use delrin too.
marks

Post by marks »

I typically use delrin as well, although I have turned a tenon on my Taig. The Taig works like a charm for turning, drilling the stem blank, etc as everything is lined up nicely, and no guess work. You can also turn shank extensions, etc on it quite nicely as well.

Also, if you want to do any special treatment to the stem, the Taig works very well. I used the lathe to shape the stem on pipe 1505 currently posted on my web site. When my retailer first saw the pipe, he thought I had done a military mount. It is all one piece with a delrin tenon.

In all honesty, most of what I am doing with the Taig could probably be done with a wood lathe, but I like the small size, as I can easily put the lathe away when not in use in my small shop. Plus, when you do need to turn a precision tenon or other fitting, the Taig works very well.

The Taig is the only lathe I have used, so I cannot comment on other methods and tools.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Kurt

I'm waiting anxiously to read the articles. Found the introductory article online. Thanks.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
stache

Lathe

Post by stache »

I want to purchase a lathe to help in turning my pipes and to start doing stem work. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to buy?
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

If you're going to buy a single lathe to do stummels and stems, a good option is the Jet 9x20. It's large enough to handle stummels and offers an optional attachement for wood-lathe cutting tools to be used. It can also be used for the precision work necessary in cutting stems.

It's a pricey machine.

I have a Jet mini-lathe for my stummel work. Use it for drilling the tobacco chamber and air whole. Also use it to turn stummels if that's my pleasure.

I bought a Microlux metal lathe from Micromark.com for my precision stem work. I like this option of the two lathes, because they are easier to move than the one big lathe I mentioned above. I have about $1100 invested in this tooling, including the chucks.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
stache

Post by stache »

Thanks Craig!
What do you think of the Grizzley metal lathe? They have a 9"x19" for around $800.00.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Stache,

A lot of hobbyists use a Delta Mini, or Jet Midi wood lathe for that type of work. In fact, you'll find that a lot of semi-pro part-timers use one of them. They're good, solid wood lathes.

If you're looking for somthing to turn tenons, I think that the Pimo tool is the most commonly bought tool for that. A metal lathe, however, is probably the most widely used by semi-pro and pri pipe makers.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
stache

Post by stache »

Kurt -
Do you use the Pimo tool? I did purchase it and have had success with it after I learned that its a little sloppy. I have plenty of wood working tools except for a lathe. I did think of getting a wood lathe but, then thought I would get more use from the metal lathe.

Do you or anyone else out there use a metal lathe to turn wood with?
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Stache.. I have a Smithy metal lathe/mill and will be turning briar on it over this weekend. Well.. I will be drilling briar on it this weekend. I have no inclination to do much more with it as far as making a pipe goes than that. Do you intend to turn pipes rather than carve them? Curious as to which direction you're planning on heading...
stache

Post by stache »

Hi hazmat
I plan to use the lathe primarily to help partially turn the bowl and stummwel. I was thinking of getting a metal lathe so that when I was ready to start making my own stems I would already have the tool.

I've made six pipes so far all of which are hand carved and I bought stems. I want to continue hand carving the pipes. I feel each block of briar presents a different challenge. As a woodworker and designer I like the wood to reveal itself to me, I don't necessarily like to force a design.

How do you like the Smithy?
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Because I haven't exactly done this yet, my thoughts on it may be irrelevant, but I think you can get away with doing a good bit of both briar and stem turning on a standard wood lathe(with proper chucks, etc, of course). I don't know how accurate you can spin a tenon on a wood lathe, but there's ways around that(delrin tenons) if you want to avoid having to purchase one expensive tool that's only good for one very small thing.

The Smithy is great, but it has its limitations.. one of them being that I don't own it, my landlord does :D I just have unlimited use of the thing. I've been turning tenons on it and rough-shaping pipes by chucking in a sanding disc. As I mentioned, I plan on drilling on it this weekend, so I'll see how that goes. It's a great machine, but too much of a machine if you're just looking at making pipes. I'm sure, though, it will come in very handy when I finally decide to make some metal fittings for shanks and stems...
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I do all of my stem work on a taig. However I have not turned a tenon in probably 8 months
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Are you using Delrin tenons John?
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

stache wrote:Kurt -
Do you use the Pimo tool? I did purchase it and have had success with it after I learned that its a little sloppy. I have plenty of wood working tools except for a lathe. I did think of getting a wood lathe but, then thought I would get more use from the metal lathe.

Do you or anyone else out there use a metal lathe to turn wood with?
I do not own a metal lathe. I have a Jet Midi that gets the lion's share of my work.

I also do not use the Pimo tool. Too sloppy for my tastes.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com