My Newest Pipe (Number Three)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

PapaDuke wrote:I thought it might of had something to do with not heating up the wax?
But let me ask you if I got this straight.
Are you saying that If I buy the bigger buffing wheel I may be able to get it to work?.....
....All good information! Here I only waisted 5 bucks but you guys have already kept me from waisting $70.00+ on a bad grinder.
No guarantees, but a 6" buff might give you the rpms you need. Basically if you can't smell the wax very much, its not getting hot enough to melt properly.

The grinder isn't necessarily "bad". I use one similar for everything but waxing. It does a great job on stems. But you can buy the same, similar grinder from Harbor Freight tools for about $40 if there is one near you. Shipping would be pretty high though if you don't have one within driving distance.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Hey $40.00 is even better.
I tried to look at their website but kept hitting dead ends. I wonder if they're still in buisness?

I have nothing to loose trying the 6" right now the 4" doesn't do anything at all. No smell / No Wax I actually read that here so I tryed holding it tighter to the wheel but no luck.

I'll pick one up this weekend and let you know.
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I buffed and waxed my first two pipes with the dremel but I don't think I did very well, I never smelled the wax, either. I use a coarse sanding wheel for almost all my shaping (after rough cutting with a coping saw). My pops gave me this old drilling rig from my grandpa that works like a drill press with a hand drill. I don't have a vice that will work with it yet but I did use it for my inlays that I did on this last pipe and it worked great. What other bits do you use? I saw at www.widgetsupply.com that they have these rotary rasps. They look a little medival but mighty cut down on shaping the strummel down to its basic shape a little faster. I like my dremel but a disk sander would be great for squaring and for panels, I would think. I really want a bandsaw, this hand saw thing isn't for me. I sweat like crazy. This summer I will have access to my brother-in-law's dad's workshop, which might help to speed the process a little bit.

Josh
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Josh,
Here are the main Dremel Tips that I found work out really well
Going from the roughest to the smoothest part of the process...

For getting the bulk off the block I use this
It's a router bit. But you have to be VERY careful with this one cause it will jump on you and if you hit a soft spot of the wood then it chips it. So I only use this for a short time.

Most of my shapping comes from these two tips
Very easy to use and you can see one takes more off then the other.

And this one works great for Rusticating

Anways, these I feel are the basics for shaping the pipe. But I'm new at this so I have my eye on tons more, plus the website you listed is great. I've found a bunch of "Must Haves" on there.

As far as the other Dremel bits I use it's all sanding drums & puffs, then the buffing heads of course for waxing.

I don't smell the wax when using a dremel but you know it's on there cause of the instant shine!

And this was a god-send
Without a doubt the best $26.00 I've ever spent in my life!
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

PapaDuke wrote:Hey $40.00 is even better.
I tried to look at their website but kept hitting dead ends. I wonder if they're still in buisness?
http://www.harborfreight.com

Did you get a chance to try a 6" buff?
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

No not yet,
I really didn't remember but once this weekend that I have to take the other back to Lowes for the 6 inch.

I'll toss it in the car and exchange it after work tomorrow.
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

PapaDuke, your two shaping bits look very interesting, what are they called? I also have a flex shaft and it is wonderful, I can't imagine doing without it. I mostly use coarse sanding drums for my shaping, I'd like to have something more aggressive but it does the job for the time being.

Josh

By the way, PapaDuke, I don't think your webpage is running, tried it a couple times and it hasn't worked so far, just a heads up.

Cheers!
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Oh lord Josh I forget and I don't have the package anymore.
Although, I found the pictures on the link above? If that helps

I know that the thinner one is Carbide. And works like cutting soft butter! Great tool

The barrel one is for wood (both are really) I use it maybe 50 percent of the carve. Very useful cause it doesn't hack away at the wood but carves nice slivers out of it.

I see them both everywhere I look for new dremel bits so they're not hard to come by I would think?
Next time I'm at the store I'll make a note of them both.
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Thanks, looks like it would be a real time saver.

Josh
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Yes it is a really good time saver. And does a fine job.

Thanks for the heads up on the webpage Josh.
I missed that yesterday? I've changed it now. Had the wrong link listed!
http://www.oceansprings-ms.com/DukeAdamsPipes.htm