Man!

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Nick

Man!

Post by Nick »

I am just pissed! I was working away over lunch on a pipe. A nice bulldog with a military stem. Anyway, I'm filing away at the shank and splat! A nice big flaw that goes all the way through to the drafthole! Am I just totally screwed? Or can this pipe be salvaged? I suppose I could put some glue in there. Maybe even have it blasted. I was making it for some one else, but now i'm not sure i should give it to him. What do you all think?

Just venting as much as anything else I suppose.
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Should I be expecting another delay? ;)

Thanks for the offer on the pick up, by the way. I'll get you some specifics sometime this week.

Josh
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

It depends on what you intend to do with the pipe. If it is a keeper, and you don't mind it, fill it. If you are going to sell it you should probably not fill it unless you are shooting for a very low end market. It still might be salvagable though. You can shorten the shank by whatever amount necessary to remove the flaw and start over with a new mortise, or if it is too short for that make it a bamboo shank.

Sorry for the bad luck!

Tyler
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Or to expand on what Tyler said, shorten it past the flaw and put in a shank extension. It may not be dead yet!

Joel