On Stems: To cut or not to cut...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

ArtGuy wrote:Ok, if we can agree that pipes both with stems made from rod stock and those with pre-made stems are each hand made, then lets add another component to the conversation. What price cutoff would be correct (in your opinion) for a pipe with a molded stem? Or do you even see a reason to have one. Is there a limit to what one should charge for a pipe with a premade stem?
Nope. I say, get what you can for them. That said, I think there is range that is reasonable within the current market.

Tyler
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

bvartist wrote: FWIW, I do handcut my stems.(maybe Tyler will talk to me again! :) )
Oh good! :thumb:
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Maybe you should give him the most elaborate description of your stem work artistry. Then he might give you more than two words…

8)
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

ArtGuy wrote:Ok, if we can agree that pipes both with stems made from rod stock and those with pre-made stems are each hand made, then lets add another component to the conversation. What price cutoff would be correct (in your opinion) for a pipe with a molded stem? Or do you even see a reason to have one. Is there a limit to what one should charge for a pipe with a premade stem?
I'm with Tyler, get as much as you can! But then there is always what the market will dictate. For just my pipes and being a newbie I'm guessing $75-$100 would be all I could get for a premade stem.(if that)

Would anybody ask a different price for a cumberland stem or would it be the same as ebonite/vulcanite? The reason I ask is the cumberland rod I have doesn't seem to be as good quality as the ebonite.

David
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Two words from Tyler is about all one can handle before drifting off. He was a High School Chemistry teacher after all. :P
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Hey, I really liked high school chemistry!

:thumb:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

ArtGuy wrote:Two words from Tyler is about all one can handle before drifting off. He was a High School Chemistry teacher after all. :P
And now I'm a preacher! 8)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

bvartist wrote: Would anybody ask a different price for a cumberland stem or would it be the same as ebonite/vulcanite? The reason I ask is the cumberland rod I have doesn't seem to be as good quality as the ebonite.

David
In general, I do not think cumberland is worth any more or less than vulcanite. If however, the quality of your materials differs, then that would be a special case and might change things.

Tyler (who is warming up and now willing to speak more than two words.) :angel: