Handcutting acrylic

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
hazmat

Handcutting acrylic

Post by hazmat »

Anyone using acrylic for handcut stems have any bits of information that could save me from meltdown? I just got a length and will be giving it a go on a pipe I'm currently working on. Thanks in advance!!

Matt
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Just a word of caution on shaping it. Cast acrylic dust doesn't go all over the place like vulcanite dust does, but it itches like crazy. Wear a mask while shaping.

If bending it, be very careful. It's not as forgiving to heat extremes as vulcanite is.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Kurt.. thanks for the bits-0-info. Just curious... how does one know if they're working with cast or extruded acrylic? I got mine from Pipemakers Emporium, if that helps at all.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm pretty sure that pipemakers emporium carries cast acrylic. If it's square, chances are it's cast in plate form, then cut into strips for sale. Other than that, most places will tell you if it's cast versus extruded. There's a *world* of difference between the two, and most reputable dealers won't want to lose customers by selling extruded and not identifying it as such.

Also, most multi-color acrylic is going to be cast, just by virtue of the manufacturing methods needed to make the patterns.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

thanks, Kurt!!
Nick

Post by Nick »

What's the difference in material behavior between cast and extruded? I have used extruded because I remember Random saying it was better. Can't remember why it was better, though.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Extruded acrylic is far, far less stable while machining (prone to deformity and catastrophic failure), has less heat tolerance, and is softer than cast acrylic. These qualities may prove beneficial for some folks, but I find the material extremely poor, and frustrating to deal with.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Fascinating. I didn't know that. I had a bit of catastrophic failure myself the other nicght as i tried to drill out a tenon.

Thanks bud
marks

Post by marks »

I work primarily with acrylic, and the stuff you want is cast acrylic, which has already been recommended. I always use a dust collector when working with this stuff, as cutting it down on a belt sander will sling a lot of fine dust. It is typically much harder to work than ebonite, and takes longer to shape with files and sandpaper when going for the final shape, so be patient when working it. When going through the sanding grits, I always use a magnifying lamp to look at the stem to make sure I get out all the scratches from the previous grit.

One big tip I can give you is to use a good cutting fluid when drilling, as the drill bit can get quite hot and the acrylic can melt, creating a struggle for you to get the drill bit out (actually, ebonite can do this as well). I use tru edge cutting fluid (recommended by B Ruthenberg) as it is approved for use in food processing equipment. I put a little on the drill bit, run the bit into the acrylic, remove the bit after a second or two, let the acrylic and bit cool, repeat, then put another drop of cutting fluid on the stem and repeat all steps. Yes, it takes a while to drill out, but the process works for me.

When sanding, I go through 1200 grit paper, buff with white compound, then buff with Menzerna tan ultrafine compound. The acrylic will almost look wet when done it shines so.

Another tip is to turn the acrylic to roughly the final diameter you want then while it is on the stummel, sand the shank to the acrylic. Since the acrylic is much harder than the briar, you don't want to go the other direction. I leave the stem on the shaped stummel as I go through the grits on the stem, and you cannot feel the joint between the shank and stem when I am done.

Have fun experimenting with this material. If you like it, Delvies Plastics has a terrific assortment of colors, and their black is fabulous. There is a link on my site to Catterall pipes, another fellow who sells through the Pipe and Pint. He also uses a lot of acrylic from Delvies, and the smoke grey he used on a couple of pipes is really cool.

One final thought. I have broken cast acrylic while turning it down as I was working it way too aggressively on the lathe (I've only done this once, though, and I was taking way too aggressive cuts on a thin section).
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

wow!!! thanks for all that info!!!! a few questions...
I use tru edge cutting fluid
where might I acquire this stuff?
Menzerna tan ultrafine compound
and this stuff?
turn the acrylic to roughly the final diameter you want then while it is on the stummel, sand the shank to the acrylic.
Just to be sure I'm reading you right(I still haven't had a cup-o-joe), I should turn or otherwise shape the stem to a diameter(or size) less than the shank? That makes sense to me...

thanks again, much appreciated!
marks

Post by marks »

Yes, shape the diameter of the shank to the diameter of the acrylic stem. If you go the other way, you will have problems with your lines going all wavy on you.

I ordered the cutting fluid from MSC Industrial and I ordered the tan compound from Grizzly. The nice thing is that they work as well on ebonite as acrylic. The cutting fluid helps the ebonite from getting burned from too much heat when drilling, and the tan compound makes the ebonite so very shiny (it actually takes out the fine scratches that the white compound leaves behind).
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Menzerna is a German manufacturer of fluid and solid polishing media. They have an English version of their main Website here and an American site (which does not list all the products, but might make a contact to a local supplier) here.
Please note that if you use their product finder in the main site, there are some untranslated words in the tables showing the results. "mattieren" means "matting" (you gess…), "vorpolieren" means "pre-polishing", "polieren" is "polishing" and "abklären" means "lustering"
I contacted them once and asked for samples of some of their compounds. They were very helpful in finding the right stuff out of their wide range and finally sent me three of their big bars. Some days later, they asked, if and how much I wanted to order. I apologized and said, they already sent me a lifetime quantity with those blocks. I offered to pay for those, but the contact person was so kind to leave it that way.
I promised to spread the word, that their compounds are good for pipe making – which I do with this posting. But please – don't you all go and ask for some sample… 8O
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use the Menzerna Brown Tripoli, which is pretty good.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com