Stamping Pipes Really Stresses Me Out!!

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Progcat

Stamping Pipes Really Stresses Me Out!!

Post by Progcat »

Hi Everyone,

I would like some advice on stamping. I have a realy nice metal stamp from Paul at A&M. I have difficulty with the consistency of stamping. Sometimes I hit it just right, sometimes it may be a little off, too light, too deep. I heat it with a heat gun first and then holding the pipe in my hand
I say a prayer and then press the stamp in. I try to apply even pressure and not rock it one way or another. Its such a stressful event for me. You get one shot to get it right when you can usually fix most other mistakes on the other parts of the pipe making process. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Progcat
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Have you tried not heating it, and just pressing it cold? I guess I just never thoguht that much about it - I just rock the sucker on and there's a stamp. If it isn't perfect, I don't sweat it too much as long as it's readable.

One thing that you may find helpful is to roll the stamp along the curved surface of the pipe. Rather than trying to press it in all at once.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Rolling the stamp onto the wood is the way I was taught. Much less chance of damaging stuff that way.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Progcat

Post by Progcat »

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to try rolling the stamp on.

Tim