# 16 "Little Black Dress"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bvartist

# 16 "Little Black Dress"

Post by bvartist »

Hi all,

The finish on this one absolutely kicked my butt! 8O

The grain didn't turn out very good, and I hadn't planned on rusticating it so I didn't leave the bowl walls very thick. So my next thought was try a black dress finish. Someone will have to pay me a whole bunch of money to ever try that again! All my finishing buffs are black now, and my fingers too. Still didn't come out with a decent smooth finish. Kind of hated to even post pics of it, but maybe someone can give me hints on how to improve it.

Oh, please forgive the little stain inside the bowl. I was frustrated enough on the finish, if I'd have kept working on the darn thing I'd have probably thrown it against the wall. :x :cry: And I do plan to try my hand at precarbing the bowl.

I'll likely be smoking this one myself, the finish is not good enough to even think about selling. Looks ok at a distance, but up close its terrible.

Dimensions: 5 3/8 in. long. Bowl 1 7/8 in. tall. Tobacco Chamber 3/4 in. diameter and 1 9/16 in. deep

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
David

bugsy

i like ...

Post by bugsy »

BVARTIST...YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE IT... BUT I DO... DID YOU USE THE USMC BLACK FIEBLINGS DYE OR SOMETHING ELSE...HOW MANY COATS DID YOU PUT ON IT....... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: BUGSY
bvartist

Re: i like ...

Post by bvartist »

bugsy wrote:BVARTIST...YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE IT... BUT I DO... DID YOU USE THE USMC BLACK FIEBLINGS DYE OR SOMETHING ELSE...HOW MANY COATS DID YOU PUT ON IT....... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: BUGSY
Yeah, I used the black Fiebings dye. Just two coats and one spot treatment when I tried to buff out the finish and some of the dye came off too.

I actually do like the pipe, the shape is close to what I wanted. The finish was the tough part. I think where I went wrong was I tried using full strength shellac to set the dye before buffing. And either I didn't let it dry long enough or the friction heat from the buffing ripples the finish. Looks like orange peel in spots. Other than the finish, I am happy with the way it turned out.

BTW I did get rid of the unsightly stains in the bowl and precarbed it. Definitely not a pipe to smoke outside after dark, its so black if you set it down somewhere you might not find it again! :wink:
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

I love this pipe David.
It's got pure class. I would really like to see it with the bowl finished.