My First PickAxe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PapaDuke

My First PickAxe

Post by PapaDuke »

I'm going to take some better pictures when the sun comes up tomorrow. This is the first time I've used Primo Dye and it's rather very dark! So are my hands now cause you have to mix it yourself.
By the way I got the Denatured Acohol from walmart like you all suggested. Thanks!

Heres my first pickaxe. Loads of fun making it but the lines (on the sides) are not uniform. This is also my first Primo Briar Kit. and found the shank to be very slim? But all worked out well I think. Wonderful people at primo I might add.
That's a 30/30 winchester Pipe Prop by the way.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

>>>>> quote: That's a 30/30 winchester Pipe Prop by the way. <<<<< end quote

Kinda keeps a fella from feelin all warm and fuzzy about posting a comment 8O

:D Just kidding.. it looks great. Pimo dyes are pretty dark. You can adjust that by putting some of the current mix in another container and adding denatured alcohol a bit at a time until you get what you want. Also, a bit of 0000 steel wool over the stummel will take off some of the dye. Kind of like an eraser... but not :dunno: if ya get my drift?

Matt
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I love 0000 steel wool. I rub out all but the grain and add another coat. I usually do this 2 or 3 times. It really brings out the grain much better than putting on that first coat and leaving it. If that is the PIMO cherry I also did the same technique, making sure to get the red out as much as possible, and then added the PIMO virgin stain on top. It was my first pipe, and though I'd make a ton of changes, the stain is what I wouldn't change if I redid it.

Josh

That stain job is actually the pipe on my avatar, so you can get an idea of what it looks like.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

No really it's just an expensive Pipe Stand. Say what you will. No problems. haha.. Now the 9mm Beretta well that's a different story?

Great tips guys,
Any suggestions since I've already waxed it?
Just sand over the wax and all or is there a technique for taking the wax back off?
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

honestly, I'd start with the steel wool first, see what happens. If that doesn't get you anywhere, try your finest grit sandpaper . After that, you're right where you want to be. The sandpaper may even help in removing some of the pigment and you'll be good to go.

As an aside, the steel wool method is very good for understaining, too.
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

This is a picaxe that has a very different shape. Nothing bad it´s beautyful! I whould like to say that you have invented a new classical shape, classic picaxe. How about that?, it´s so right inshape that an other word for the pipe does not exist. The first classic picaxe, congratulations!
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I like the look of that a lot :thumb:
I may have to try doing one of those, I have never owned or smoked one in that shape. Looks like it would fit in yer hand nice.
What did you wind up doing? any after pics, to see how the lighter shade came out?
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Yes I like that "Classic Pickaxe"
I guess you guys have a point there. After I read the post I looked back over my photos of pipes I've collected and see the difference. Thanks! Here I thought I had just another pickaxe as everyone else??
:thumb:

I'm going to make another this weekend.

Before making the pipe I had never been a fan of this design but I can tell you now that's changed. It fits and feels wonderfully in your hand. Had great balance and now belongs to a biker chick in Arizona?? haha..
Yep for real. She bought it on ebay for her boyfriend, fell in love with it when it got to her and she's smoking it. Tobacco I think, but can't be 100% sure.

I ended up keeping the dark red on this one but took your advise for others. I figure I can get away with a "Solid" color every now and then. The dark dark red looks great but I don't like loosing my grain. It's all about the grain!