The Experiment is Concluded - ScoJo #9

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Brandy-esque or not. I think what is mainly coming through here is my own preferences. A year or two back I showed one of my pipes to Kjeld sorenson of Red Hat pipes. He liked it in general, but said it was much too blocky on the backside. Since then I have really taken that advice to heart and spend alot of time on that particular point. Either way, its a great looking pipe.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Nick wrote:Brandy-esque or not. I think what is mainly coming through here is my own preferences. A year or two back I showed one of my pipes to Kjeld sorenson of Red Hat pipes. He liked it in general, but said it was much too blocky on the backside. Since then I have really taken that advice to heart and spend alot of time on that particular point. Either way, its a great looking pipe.
Nick.. you have no time for responding.. get back to work on that slot-cutting jig you had up here earlier.. :D that's the part of hand-cutting stems I'm having the worst time with!!!
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Yeah, and while you're at it, you never posted a final pic of your "on the kitchen counter" pipe. I really wanted to see how it turned out.

And do you know the density and viscosity of smoke being drawn through the drafthole? Do you know it as a function of temperature? I need to finish my Re calcs...

:think:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

ScoJo wrote:John, thanks for your comments as well. After smoking it a couple of times, I am very aware that the button is too big. Funny how actually sticking the thing in your mouth will make that apparent right away. The bit is a little too thick, too.
This statement struck me. When cutting stems, especially if you haven't done many, I suggest that putting them in your mouth as you cut it is critical. As new stem cutters, I suggest that our mouths are our best measuring devices, and we should constantly be checking for comfort as we approach what we think might be the final dimensions of the bit. If there is one thing we can know about the pipe before it leaves our shops, it is that the bit is comfortable in the mouth. :thumb:

Tyler (who has his spit on every pipe he's sold) 8O
Last edited by Tyler on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Tyler wrote:
Tyler (who has his spit on every pipe he's sold)
I dare ya to use that for a sales slogan :D
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehehe. Well, I didn't get any work don on the jig this weekend. Bummer. Too much other stuff going on.

But...Here are the numbers I used for smoke:
Density: 1.12 mg/cm^3
Viscosity: 3.37E-05 Pa

I tell you these damned figures were the hardest thing to find too. You'd think with all the experiment data posted on the tobacco documents' website, from the tobacco companies, they'd post these few figures once or twice. But heck if they didn't.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi All,

Are you saying that one circle has a concave shape, and the other a convex shape?
Tano
Nick

Post by Nick »

No, I was saying that the curve of the bowl shank junction should be more like the bigger circle than the smaller. Its a pretty fine point to critique, but clearly Scott is headed in a direction where these fine points will matter.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Very Nice Pipe ScoJo! I've got my #9 on the bench now. You've set the bar pretty high with this one! My first reaction to the stem was that I loved it. After reviewing the comments I can see the points being made, but still find it very appealing over all. I also like the shape and rustification. Very nicely done!
Tyler wrote:When cutting stems, especially if you haven't done many, I suggest that putting them in your mouth as you cut it is critical. As new stem cutters, I suggest that our mouths are our best measuring devices, and we should constantly be checking for comfort as we approach what we think might be the final dimensions of the bit. If there is one thing we can know about the pipe before it leaves our shops, it is that the bit is comfortable in the mouth.
Amen Tyler! I've been doing just that. Working on the second hand cut stem now (actually the third as there is half of a tappered bit broken off in the first attempt for this pipe). :oops: Learned a ton about drilling Lucite though, and the next effort went very well.

In addition to the feel of the bit, I'm also using the "try it out in the mouth" technique for draw. It's very illuminating to check the feel of the bit and button and draw against collection favorites. I ended up opening up this stem up a little more in order to match the draw of one of my favorite smokers.

Great work ScoJo! Can't wait to see more!
Scott
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------