Fourth pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tano

Fourth pipe

Post by Tano »

This pipe was a lot of fun to make. The object was to work with a longer shank and taper it on both sides. At this point I had no idea how to make an insert on the stem, but hat was to follow. Any comments would be appreciated.
Tano
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

I've always loved a Canadian eh. (Grew up across from Sarnia --- but the "eh" didn't come into popular use until the '60s or '70s, I suspect, because I didn't hear it till then.) Very graceful with the taper --- I like it better than the straight shank you usually see. Also like the slight bend in the stem. Very nice pipe, the treatment very clean and crisp.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

I agree about the lines of the stem, I do like the little bend in the mouthpiece, the proportion of the saddle is right (I see some very short saddles sitting on a long shank, and this always disturbes my eyes…).
But to my eye, the bowl shank transition could be less rounded by far. I think the back line floww of the bowl should be continued downwards as precisely as possible. I know those rounded transitions sometimes feel better for the smokers's thumb, but from the esthetical p.o.v. I like it more crisp.
And – I pointed this out on several other pipes: I consider the bowl's bottom lines running below the lower shank line a no go for all classic straight shapes and their let's say from-85%-to-99%--of-the-classic-shape variations. As I said before: If the manufacturers do it, there seems no technical reason reason for me to leave some extra wood down there. For my eye, it is always something hanging down, where it should not.
And don't get me wrong on that last sentence! :oops:
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de