It has been a while...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
achduliebe

It has been a while...

Post by achduliebe »

I have been on a little hiatus, but finally got around to making another pipe. We moved to a new house and I had to build some new work benches and get things set back up. So, the shop is getting there. This pipe is my first pipe from the new shop. The stem is a reshaped preformed stem, once again it has been heavily modified. I have every intention of this being my last pre-formed stem. From this point on I will me cutting my stems from ebonite.

Please check out the pictures and let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking,
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

very interesting shape!!! Can you get a couple more pics highlighting the bottom where the shape changes up?? I like the stem/shank treatment very much and the lines flow together well. The shape-change at the bottom could throw it off if not done well, but it doesn't look sloppy or clunky in the least. How does it feel in the mouth? Does it hang funny? Lend itself to being a "hand-pipe"? Or does it just balance there comfortably like it doesn't belong anywhere else?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hazmat,

The pipe is a smallish pipe and is pretty light weight. It fits really good in the hand but also hangs really well when clinched. When clinched the chamber kind of cants forward away from the face.

I forgot to add the dimensions for this pipe, so here they are:

Length: just under 4.5"

Height: 2.5"

Tobacco Chamber: .75"

As for the transition/junction of the stem and stummel, they are very crisp. I am attaching two picks that show this a little better. If these pics don't show you what you are looking for, just let me know and I will snap some tonight of just the underside.

-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Very cool.. like that shape... definitely something different!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Matt.

Yeah, I wanted to do something different. I really did not have that shape in mind perse...it just kind of evolved. I am pleased with how it turned out. It really feels good in hand and in mouth. I think it will be a good smoker for somebody...that is if I don't keep it for myself.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
Tano

Post by Tano »

I've always enjoyed short pipes. this one shows a certain sofness that makes you want to hold it and rub it in one hand. I also suggests an aging quality like some older folk whose jowels have lowered with wisdom and time. I like it.
Tano
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Tano for your comments. That is a very interesting observation, I agree, it does have that hanging jowels look.

Thanks,
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
marks

Post by marks »

Very unusual and interesting shape. You did a very nice job keeping the line sharp and crisp where the shank and bowl meet on the bottom. Also the bottom line of the shank and stem flows very well. The more I look at this pipe, the more I like it. There is a lot going on there, and it is very creative.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thank you very much Marks. Your thoughts and compliments are tremendously appreciated. This pipe has grown on me quite a bit. When I finished buffing it, initially I was not happy with the finish. I thought it was too dark, but the more I looked at it the more I liked it. Now, I really think it fits the shape of the pipe for some reason.

Thanks again for your compliments.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Bryan, I especially like the fact that you discovered this shape while you worked; it came off awfully well, which shows, I think, that you are careful enough to think and consider the consequences of each modification to the basic idea you began with.
flix

Post by flix »

Bryan,

I'm impressed with the art of the pipe, but, I'm a little puzzled...

Is there a cant in the bowl to the right as you look at it from the button? Or am I a victim of a bad monitor? Otherwise, a beautiful work, I like it very much.

--Michael
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks John, yeah this pipe definately evolved as I was carving it. I was initially shooting for a kind of volcano shape but had no intention, initially, to have the bottom shaped the way it turned out.

Michael-
Yes in the one pic the bowl does look like it is canted to the right, but I beleive that is just a combination of the camera angle and the fact that the top of the bowl drops from right to left. But to answer your question, no it is not canted it just looks that way...camera trickery I guess.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Very, very cool - I love it!
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thank you so much Trever, that is a heck of a compliment coming from a heck of a carver.

I really appreciate it!
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, that's an awesome pipe, Bryan! Very orignal... I can't remember seeing anything like it. Also a very appealing shape. I love it! Makes me want to get home and have a bowl of something.

Great to see your back up and carving after your move!
Scott
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
smokepiper

NICE

Post by smokepiper »

I really like the shape, it has IT. Photogenique...
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Scott, yes it is good to be back in the shop. Hopefully I will be knocking out another pipe here shortly. I just picked up some new tooling today, so I am all ready to start hand cutting my stems. Woo Hoo! Thanks for you compliments, I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks smokepiper, I really appreciate your compliments. It is great getting positive feedback from far superior pipemakers than myself.

Thanks,
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com