Bulldog with Bamboo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nick

Bulldog with Bamboo

Post by Nick »

Hi all. Here's my latest. The stem is handcut. I got the briar from Roland Schwarz in Germany. Good stuff too.

I'd love to hear any comments or critique that you all have to offer.

NJ

Nick

Post by Nick »

Whhaaat? Does it just suck so much no one can think of anything nice to say?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Sorry Nick, somehow I missed your post. In the first pic the stem looks like it has a sharp bend in it, but in the other pics it looks fine. Overall, to me, the pipe looks very good. Looks to have some nice grain. I like the shape of the bowl, although as a personal preference I would have made the ridge around the bowl a little sharper...but that is just me. Very nice.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Ah, one of those instant gratification guys. . . . No, but really, the little thing that's supposed to say to one and all "NEW POST" just didn't show until you added your post script.
First two pix look a little washed out, but #3 is good and shows a nice stain job and a good fit at the shank. Strange how the bend in the top one looks so sharp. (The tin's reflection gives the appearance of a crack in the bamboo.) Nice job; looks to be a light and comfortable smoker. Is the bowl kinda deep to be called a bulldog? I don't know -- just asking.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick wrote:Whhaaat? Does it just suck so much no one can think of anything nice to say?
hehe... sorry. I had seen it on the run and wanted to say something but didn't have time. And then it didn't show up as a new post so it slipped my mind.

I like it alot. I think it's very original and flows really well. While slightly too large, I think the bulge in the stem works really well as a way to transition from the bamboo into the stem. The bowl shape looks like a winner to me. I think this is my favorite pipe that I've seen from you! How long'd it take to make?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks guys. And yes John, I am totally one of those instant gratification kids. A child of the 80's all the way.

Bryan, I very much agree that I would have liked to have a sharper edge on the bowl. But darn thats hard! I totally can see now how a faceted pipe would be very difficult. Keeping this sharp edges is very difficult.

John, I think you have a point about the bowl. The more common bulldogs have a more squat bowl. However, I do have a few pipes in my collection that are taller like this one. GBD made a great bulldog with a taller bowl. The pictures were tricky. I don't have alot of expirience modifying digital pictures.

Thanks Ben! I really appriciate it. Looking at the stem, I can see your point. I wanted to mirror the bamboo's shape in the stem, but perhaps a smaller proportion would have worked better. Again, I was going for a sharper edge, but just couldn't get there.

Thanks again all. I appriciate your comments and critique. Any tips on how to get those sharp edges would be appriciated.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Nick,

For me, getting a sharp edge like what I was talking about on your bulldog, is just lots of patience. And consistency along with keeping the piece moving, meaning not working on one area too long. When I am making something with a sharp edge that is going to be round, I try to get my arms and the file or sanding block in a very tight position. Then I spin the stummel using my hand and try to keep it very controlled. It is kind of hard to explain. I also do this with the sanding disk. In fact, that is the technique that I used on the blowfish, but really the name of the game is consistency and patience.

I know that sounds like a bunch of babbling. I wish I had a digital video recorder, the I could just show you what I am talking about.

Anyways, I hope this helps.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

No, that helps. I think I get the idea. I was sanding much more up and down, which would have a natural tendance to round off the corner, where as side to side, especially with a rigid tool, would bring out that edge. I'd love to see the video if you ever get around to it though.

Btw, the blowfish is smoking great!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Great Nick. I think my digital camera will film short digital movies. If it does and they come out half decent, I'll send one over.

I am glad to hear the blowfish is smoking good. I had five people send me emails this past weekend wanting to know if it was available and how much it was. I was floored.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

mahaffy wrote: Is the bowl kinda deep to be called a bulldog? I don't know -- just asking.
UH OH! The shape police are here! 8O

Nick, nice pipe! And I've seen taller bulldogs. Looks like it would be light and comfortable for a clencher like me. My only complaint, too much background clutter in the pics! Nice grain and very nice staining.

David
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

mahaffy wrote: looks to be a light and comfortable smoker.
bvartist wrote: Looks like it would be light and comfortable
Gee, I guess maybe part of my post was acceptable. Do I have to go eat worms, now, or what?
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

mahaffy wrote:
mahaffy wrote: looks to be a light and comfortable smoker.
bvartist wrote: Looks like it would be light and comfortable
Gee, I guess maybe part of my post was acceptable. Do I have to go eat worms, now, or what?
Nah! I'll let you off this time! 8)
Nick

Post by Nick »

LOL!

*sings*

No body loves me
everybody hates me
I'm gonna eat some worms
big long fat ones
skinny little juicy ones
watch 'em as they squirm!

Hehehehehehe! I love that song.