"Barber Pole" Lovat

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bvartist

"Barber Pole" Lovat

Post by bvartist »

Haven't posted a pipe recently, so I thought I'd get some feedback on this one. The concept of the rustication wrapping around the pipe "barber pole" fashion seemed like a good idea at the time. But after finishing the pipe I'm waffling whether or not I like it. So I thought I'd put it to the experts! What'dya all think??? Should I leave the rustication alone? Or rusticate the whole pipe?

Tale of the Tape!
6 3/16" overall
Bowl Height 2"
Tobacco chamber 3/4" x 1 11/16" deep
Stem: hand cut cumberland

Sorry about the dark pics, I use a 250 watt daylight photo flood bounced off the ceiling to light my pipes, and it burned out. So until I can find another its back to natural lighting and flash. And its much too hot outside for sunlight photography! (103)

The stem isn't nearly as thick as it looks in this pic, camera wasn't quite straight on with the pipe. Photo from slightly above!

Any comments or suggestions welcome!
David
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I'd finish rusticating the whole pipe. But I really don't like partial rustications. They always look to me like they just aren't done. Personal preference I guess.

The shape looks pretty good off hand.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I like the shape alot. But I gotta agree that the rustication just doesn't look quite right. You know, you could take a dremal and make it a twisting kind of thing. You already have the grooves drawn in.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

You know David, I am going to go against the grain here. I usually do not like partially rusticated pipes either, but I really do like this one. It has a classy look to me, I like it. Whether you leave it or decide to rusticate the entire pipe, it is a nice pipe no doubt. I like the shape too.

Nice work.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Looks a little bit funny! :wink: But very nice shape and very good looking grain! So I like rusticated pipes, even if it's partial and this one is so much different from all I've seen befor. I wouldn't change the rustication and leave the pipe as it is!

Greetings,

Heinz_D
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I like it. Intrigueing!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I think it's thematic and it works.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Thanks for the comments guys! I think this one will be one of those "love it or hate it" pipes. (hopefully someone will love it! :lol: ) I think I'll leave it the way it is! Not my personal favorite, but it works. And a little different from "normal".(whatever normal is!)

David
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Starting to love it David!
But yes, it is taking some time I must be honest.

If you post it on eBay I think the picture I would lead off with for the gallery is the second one. Then I would use the last two. Those three photos show the best flow of your lines I think?

It's a “grow on you” kind of pipe I will say that. The best part is its unique and original. The owner should feel proud that he'll never see another like it? (Most likely)
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hi,

First off it's a nice shape. Seems like you got it pretty symmetrical. It looks like a long shanked brandy to me, but maybe that is what a Lovat is, I don't know. It's nice though and I tend to go for pipes that are longer than 5.5.

As for the stripping what I think is throwing you and others off is that it's not done as well or should I say as skilfully as the pipe itself.

The width of the rustication on the bowl is almost equal to the width on the shank, although not equal. Meanwhile the smooth stripping between the rustication varies greatly in width between the rustication stripes. Thick on one end and thin on the other without justification.

I believe that if you made the bands equal in width to each other throughout the shape you would achieve something closer to what you had originally envisioned; Barber Pole stripes. Or at least you would like what you ended up with better.

Personally I like rustication and I like smooth pipes, but I usually don't like partial rustication. Mostly because it's not done very well with regards to the design, in my opinion. Random rustication here and there or trying to save some little patch of straight grain does not do it for me. This pipe on the other hand is partially rusticated but for a reason and with a purpose. That makes a big difference.

I think that it's okay as it is, but there is potential for a great pipe down the road if you try it again.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Souljer wrote:
As for the stripping what I think is throwing you and others off is that it's not done as well or should I say as skilfully as the pipe itself.
8O :)
The width of the rustication on the bowl is almost equal to the width on the shank, although not equal. Meanwhile the smooth stripping between the rustication varies greatly in width between the rustication stripes. Thick on one end and thin on the other without justification.
The width of the rustication on both the shank and bowl should be equal, or within a few millimeters of each other. I used 3/8" masking tape to lay out the bands. Minor deviations could be from the rustication process. But they are close!!! Now the width of the smooth portions, I didn't really try to keep them equal throughout, I did try to keep them fairly equal on the stem, and on the bowl as much as possible.
I believe that if you made the bands equal in width to each other throughout the shape you would achieve something closer to what you had originally envisioned; Barber Pole stripes. Or at least you would like what you ended up with better.
you could be right that it may look better, but as far as what I envisioned, its pretty close to the same! My thoughts when designing the rustication weren't so much about keeping the lines equal distance from each other as keeping the same number of turns on the bowl and the shank, two stripes on the bowl and two on the shank. Would it have been better with equal distance between them? I don't know! Maybe I'll give that a shot if I ever do it again!!!

Thanks for your advice! I remember any design suggestions on future work!

David
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

We could start the bidding right now!!! :angel:
Last edited by LexKY_Pipe on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:We could start the bigging right now!!!

??????????????????????????????????? :dunno:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Sorry -- typo -- bidding!!! :thumb:
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

I didn't reply at first because I didn't like it. But, Like he said, it grows on you, it has motion. If you like it, try with different widths of strip, and pitch. I wonder what a sandblasted stripe would look like?
ckr

Post by ckr »

I kinda tried to even out the area between the rustification, wasn't easy in an editor and I am sure it was difficult on the pipe. I also think my angles on the shank are a bit off, but I feel that 2 on the bowl and 2 on the shank feels wrong since the shank is longer than the bowl is tall. BUT if it smokes well that is the most important to me. Excellent shape!!
Last edited by ckr on Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

ckr wrote:I kinda tried to even out the area between the rustification, wasn't easy in an editor and I am sure it was difficult on the pipe. I also think my angles on the shank are a bit off, but I feel that 2 on the bowl and 2 on the shank feels wrong since the shank is longer than the bowl is tall.....
I like it! If I ever do something similar, I'll keep that in mind.
hogi wrote:I didn't reply at first because I didn't like it. But, Like he said, it grows on you, it has motion. If you like it, try with different widths of strip, and pitch. I wonder what a sandblasted stripe would look like?
I wasn't crazy about it at first either, but it does grow on you. And I think sandblasting would work great! One of these days I'll have the equipment for that! :(
LexKY wrote:We could start the bidding right now!!!
Maybe we could talk Kurt into starting a struggling pipemakers auction site?????? Maybe not. :)
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I'll be Kurt loves it that we're always coming up with new jobs for him to do for us!!! :angel:
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com