Pipe # 5

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
custom300

Pipe # 5

Post by custom300 »

Pipe #5 - pic 1

Here is my 5th pipe. I was a little more adventurous with this one. I'm still using cheaper Ebauchon blocks while perfecting my process. You can see some sand pits on the shank. I thought about rustifying the shank and extension under the bowl. I originally had a black ebonite stem, but sanded through to the airway. So I had to retrofit this cumberland stem. Kurt's earlier discussion on the technique for cutting the button on the stem, was extremely helpful on this one.

I stained this with black, then a cordavan.

Any feedback/critique would be greatly appreciated.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
sethile

Post by sethile »

Very nice work Jamie! I like the over all shape of the stummel. To my eye the stem gets a bit too narrow, other wise I really like it. Looks like it would feel nice in the hand. Sort of invites one to hold it. The two step stain brought out some nice figure. I like how ebauchons will sometimes have some decent flame or some other nice surprises to discover within--of course the surprises are often not so pleasant. This one looks nice, and I don't find the sand pits distracting, at least in these photos. Is the insert Acrylic?

I sanded through a stem recently too, and I have yet to graduate from ebauchons. They seem like a great way to hone ones skills... less intimidating than cutting into to really nice piece of plateaux, not to mention cheaper. I figure I've got one more ebauchon to destroy before I dive into a block of plateaux.

Isn't this fun? I'm really enjoying it. Your #5 reminds me I need to get a little more adventurous.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Scott,
Thank you for your comments and critique. I agree with you in that the stem got a little thin. That was a consequence of having to do a second stem. The first stem had some ridges around the curcumference of the stem, which contrasted the overall slimmer design. I opted not to include the ridges on the second stem, but the diameter was set at that point. Also, up until this pipe, I had made things more bulky for fear of sanding through to the draught hole. I was encouraged by other pipe makers to get a little more agressive with my sanding to result in a lighter less bulky look and feel. I may have gone the other extreme.

Anyway, thanks. I always enjoy your pipes and your comments as well...and yes this is very fun. I have to watch myself that thoughts of design and refining my methods don't consume my whole day.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Obviously nothin' wrong with "cheap Ebauchon," Jamie! Nice concept. (To be picky: Maybe sharper definition between bowl and shank, taper shank more to make the thin part of the stem look like it was on purpose.) But shoot-darn, that's a nice pipe anyway.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Jamie,

Good looking pipe. Nice work. I would crisp up the junction between the shank and stummel a little more. Very fun shape, I find it very enjoyable.

Keep it up. :thumb:
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Thanks guys...i appreciate your insight.. As far as sharpening up the junction...do you mean where it appears the bowl is sitting on the shank or where the shank actually enters the bowl. I did wonder if I should have gone deeper with the groove between the two parts.. to create more seperation between the bowl and the "finger" like thing coming down.

Also, Scott...yes that is Acrylic that I got from Andrea. She had it on sale last month.

Again, thanks all for you time in commenting.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
forrest

Post by forrest »

Very nice pipe, great work. :thumb:
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Jamie,

What I was referring to, when I mentioned sharpening, was the part where it looks like the bowl sitting on top of the shank. That whole junction, but don't get me wrong it looks very good.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Bryan,
I think I understand. I got to looking at your website and your Pipe#8 ...it looks similar in theme. I see where you've created more definition and a sharper edge between the "protrusion" running along the bottom and the bowl itself.
A side note, I really like the apparatus you built for your Drill press vice. I bought an milling vice that moves on an XY coordinate for my drill press but it puts everything too high. It limits what I can do. I may use your design to create something similar.
Thanks again.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Jamie,

Yeah, I didn't even think about using pipe #8 as an example.

The drill press vise works really well, although I now have a lathe and the latest pipe was drilled on it. I will post pics of that pipe either tonight or tomorrow, I still have to coat the bowl.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com