stem tightening

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
achduliebe

stem tightening

Post by achduliebe »

Ok, it seems that I have seen this posted here before but I can not find the post. So, here it is again.

When using stainless tube for the tenon on a bamboo pipe, is there a trick to tightening up the fit if it becomes loose? It seems that I had heard before, something about coating the stainless with clear finger nail polish to add some thickness. Has anyone heard this or know how to resolve the loose stainless tenon problem?

Thanks,
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'm sure this will make some folks cringe, but my solution has been to give the tube a little squeeze with some pliers. 8O I wrap the tube to prevent plier marks. Obviously this is not ideal -- two points of contact instead of full 360 degree contact -- but it's better than the stem falling out.

Tyler
ckr

Post by ckr »

Never had the problem but ... I had a fly rod that got it's furrel a bit pinched enough to make it scrape. I heated it up and stuck a steel awl in it and then let it cool down slowly. After cooling it had left the female end open enough to let the other peice slide easily.

Of course I removed the awl.

I think that if you heat the end of the stainless steel tube it will expand enough and then stick something in to stop the contraction on the cool down.
Last edited by ckr on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Take a pipecleaner, coat the tip in superglue, and immediately insert it into the bamboo mortise. Give the entire mortise a thin coating of superglue, and you're good to go. Depending on the pipecleaners you're using, don't be surprised if a chemical reaction occurs that causes the pipecleaner to smoke like hot bacon grease. Once the glue is dry, insert the stem, and the tenon will polish the mortise and create a nice tight fit.

Todd
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Tyler, ckr and Todd! Those are some great tips! I think I will give Todd's method a try first.

Hey maybe I will have the right kind of pipecleaner to get a little reaction going. My four year old would get a big kick out of that.

Thanks guys!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tod shared this with me a couple years ago, and it's the absolute best way to make steel and bamboo fit right again.

You can also alleviate this problem somewhat by using an end cap on your bamboo of another material that is less prone to wear - like acrylic, ivory, bone, or vulcanite.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks Kurt!
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com