the wave

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
josh_ford

the wave

Post by josh_ford »

Here is my newest completed pipe. I'm not totally happy with it but it was definitely a learning experience. I expanded the shank like that to show the birdseye that was on this block of briar, which wasn't bad at all for 3/$9 from pipemakers emporium.

I'm still not happy with my stem/shank junction but it is getting better I guess. Please let me know what you think, I want to get better at this so please be blunt.

Josh

Thanks
flix

Post by flix »

Whew! It makes me a little dizzy to look at it. It's a bit unnerving to me to see so much going on, looks like one of mine. It's just a tad too much for me to look at, so many things being tried at one time!

Sorry, I wish I liked it more, brother! The finish is top notch, but the design seems off. The price was *totally* right though: I just spent more on some Tim West seconds...oops!

--Michael
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hello Josh,

I would tighten up the stummel/shank junction just a bit. My personal preference would also be to take the 'bulge' out of the stem/shank. For bargain briar, that looks pretty dang good.

Nice work, the stem looks good.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
obie

Post by obie »

While it's not totally successful from a design angle, that was an innovative way to get at the birdseye in the shank... this block seems like it would have been a good candidate for a 'ukelele' shape.

Kudos for having the rocks to try something different.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

I think prob'ly I'd like this a lot more if you had kept the underside of the shank straight from stem to the heel (if that's the correct term -- the bottom of the bowl). Aside from that, I think it works well.
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Thanks for all of the input! I am really sore over these pictures. They really do not capture the shank at all. THough I'm not totally happy with it, it is much more of a "wave" than the bulge that appears in the pictures. I am going to try to take better photos later, with some adjustments to technique, to show you all what it really looks like. As far as capturing the birdseye it did that well. The tops and bottoms of the shank are pretty well covered in it. I think I would like to have thinned out the shank a bit more and the bend in the shank is much sharper than the rounded bend in the stem. I did not forsee that contrast being as abrasive as it is. I'll try to post better pics by tommarrow.

Thanks again for the input.

Josh
flix

Post by flix »

Josh,

I really believe you when you said that the pictures didn't show what you intended. I wish I could see the pipe in person! I'm also sorry I couldn't be more positive. Here's hoping that the newer pics show it off,

--Michael
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Sory, but both, bowl and shank, are looking a little bit like a knob and in different lines. :oops: If the shank would be in an unique hight and oval in the width it may look better (more lank)? But if you want to keep the wave, I would look for symetric lines on the upper side and the bottom of the shank(may be that the fotos don't show the right curves?)
Nice grain and very nice finish.
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D