Checkered finish. anyone know how?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Butch_Y

Checkered finish. anyone know how?

Post by Butch_Y »

Really curious to know how this was done if anyone knows.

http://www.aaameerschaum.com/images/all ... mg_812.htm

looks almost like a segmented piece
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

My guess would be masking and an airbrush.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I would be *really* surprised if that was even wood. It looks a lot like one of those shrink-wrap finishes that Jeantet and Molina do.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

KurtHuhn wrote:I would be *really* surprised if that was even wood. It looks a lot like one of those shrink-wrap finishes that Jeantet and Molina do.
You mean like a Bic lighter shrink wrap decal? Sounds cheesy. Sure would hide those nasty little sand pits tho. :thumb:
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Exactly like that. Someone figured out how to wrap pipes in the stuff. It really looks like cheesy when you see it in person. Yet people buy these. :roll:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

I only saw some pipes with "wraped finish" in carbon look and in my mind all those pipes look something as "synthetic". I saw some carbon style foil on ebay sometimes, but I wonder if they are heat resistant? The foil technic is normaly (or only as I heared) a wet technic, that means you've to wrap the foil under water, flatten and straighten out air bubbles and than air drying it - I'm not sure, if I want to do that with one of my pipes...
Also I don't know if it'll keep in position on the boarder and the junktion to the inner side of the bowl... An idea would be to handle the whole pipe stummel and use an insert like meerschaum (sepiolite?)...
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote:Exactly like that. Someone figured out how to wrap pipes in the stuff. It really looks like cheesy when you see it in person. Yet people buy these. :roll:
Joe Giardina explained these to me at a pipe show one time. This is exaclty what they are. They are coated with the "plastic like" stuff and heated it up and it "shrink wraps" to the pipe.

Joe Giardina is a pipe importer, sole importer of Spanu's I believe and importer of other pipes as well. Used to own pipe makers emporium too...
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I was just looking at GeigerPipes post on stamping and got to thinking that something sililar might be done like that. I think he said he stamped it then tinted the stamping. Kind of like tattooing. The stamping could be done and a dark stain applied then sanded and a lighter color used for the rest of the pipe. Never considered doing this but the thought came to me. It would be very exhausting work, but it might work. :? Be it checkerboard or any other design.
Just thinking aloud.