another quick rustication question

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
sgresso

another quick rustication question

Post by sgresso »

I am going to build a tool like tyler showed.

When i use it how hard do you press and do you have to twist it to remove the briar?

How sharp does the nails have to be?

sorry for all the silly questions.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Not trying to withhold information here or anything but...

That's the beauty of this particular tool. Do whatever you want. Create your own look. Your messing up the briar regardless... For the basics: yes, press and twist. Other than that it's up to you. Carve different profiles into the nails, use different tools (nail tool and a philips head screw driver with a line cutting in 1/4's), mix it up! That creates the best result. I think, and I know that lots of people agree, the best rustication is a sporatic one. One that you can tell how it was done, can see patterns. One piece of advice, to get real nice rustications like those who have used this tool well, expect to go over the same spots several times.
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

bscofield wrote:One piece of advice, to get real nice rustications like those who have used this tool well, expect to go over the same spots several times.
As suggested by others with similiar threads, also use a dark coating of stain so you can see where you have worked it. When all the stain is removed you should have a nice even thickness all the way around rather than having some spots thinner.
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
bvartist

Re: another quick rustication question

Post by bvartist »

sgresso wrote:
sorry for all the silly questions.
Nothing silly about asking for direction! :thumb:
When i use it how hard do you press and do you have to twist it to remove the briar?
If your hands are numb after you're done, you've used enough pressure! 8O The tool will tell you how much pressure. If you're not popping chunks out of the briar, you probably need more pressure.

The best way to learn is to take a scrap piece of briar and try all sorts of techniques. And its fun to experiment. Can also be painful though, make sure you wear protection. 8)

David
flix

Post by flix »

Speaking of protection, what are those special gloves made out of? Is it Teflon?
ckr

Post by ckr »

Kelvar,

I think they are better to guard against a slice - I would think several sharp nails would work themselves between the fibers?
Fumo in pace :pipe:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

As suggested by others with similiar threads, also use a dark coating of stain so you can see where you have worked it.
You really don't need this. It is pretty easy to see where youve worked it when you're rusticating.

Rad
flix

Post by flix »

ckr wrote:Kelvar,

I think they are better to guard against a slice - I would think several sharp nails would work themselves between the fibers?
CKR,
You're right (typos aside) it's kevlar. I am clumsy and would benefit greatly from getting a pair. Anyone out there have them? Where did you get them?
Thanks,
--Michael
ckr

Post by ckr »

Your clumys, I cna't enve type rihgt.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1342

I'm sure there are many places.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I use concrete nails with the head cut off in the compression fitting. Before putting each into the compression fitting I first sharpend each one on a grinder to a sharp point in the same way you would sharpen a pencil.
sgresso

Post by sgresso »

Well i tried to find the parts today for one at home depot to no success.

Any one have a parts list or have one that you can sell?
any one want to help me would be appreciated.
I also can paypal the $ for the parts if you have a extra.
ckr

Post by ckr »

For this -

You can forget Homeless Depot - you need to go to a Plumber's Supply Store. A tee, threaded black iron, a coupler and, a compression fitting.
Make sure all the stuff is threaded right, work from the compression fitting and then back.

Print the pics and take em with you.
sgresso

Post by sgresso »

Thanks guys.

I thought i was just losing my mind when I could not find them.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Lowes has all the parts you need.

But, to tell you the truth, I haven't rusticated a single pipe since I got my sandblasting rig....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Home Depot is where I bought the stuff for mine. (Well, OK, maybe it was Lowe's...I don't remember. It wasn't a plumbing supply house though.) It is not strange stuff.

1/2" threaded pipe fittings (I used galvanized):

-tee
-nipple (I like about 4" -- the photo is much longer)
-coupling

and a brass pipe-thread compression fitting.

All should be on the same aisle.

The masonry (concrete?) nails will be on the hardware aisle with the rest of the nails.