Dust Hood for Sanding Station

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Progcat

Dust Hood for Sanding Station

Post by Progcat »

Hi Guys,

I am working to improve my dust collection in my shop. I have my collector shoot and hose mounted under my sanding disk. It works well when I am sanding on the down draft side of the disk but dust is kicked up in the air when I switch to the updraft side of the disk. From time to time I have seen pictures of dust hoods that some of you have made to place over your sanding stations (which seems tobe meant to minimize this problem). Can one of you offer some advise as to how I can make one or provide a picture of one you have made. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Tim
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Tim,

I only sand on one side of my wheel, and it's the side that shoots dust downward. And the pipe if I happen to lose my grip.

Don't you run the risk of slamming the pipe into your face if you lose your grip while sanding on the upward turning side?

Anyway, a simple hood can be easily made with duct tape and a cardboard box. Then just screw it down on the back side of your chute.

Rad
Progcat

Post by Progcat »

Hi Rad,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I do run the risk of that happening but I feel I need to use both sides for shaping opposite sides of the pipe (as oposed to turing it upside down). I think I wil need the dust cover so I will take your advice and try to make obe out of cardboard.

Thanks,

Tim