I visited Sören Refbjerg last Friday

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
smokepiper

I visited Sören Refbjerg last Friday

Post by smokepiper »

Sören closed down his factory and he picked me up at the centralstation, we were to make pipes together this afternoon just the 2 of us. Sören has 40 years of experiense in pipemaking and he makes 12 pipes/day. To see him work is to study mozart, he tought me some things about shaping on a sanddisc and fine grit sander convex disc. The sanddisc he uses is rotating 2800rpm and the convex is having 1400rpm. I have never beforre felt such ease in shaping as the disc he uses and the fine grit convex disc is just heavenly and pipes is smoothas silk after using it. Here is some pics. Image Image Image he uses oilhardened cardboard as back plate to his sanddisc and everything is perfect fit for best balance in disc.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too cool Ronny. Twelve pipes a day? The man must be a monster in the efficiency department. Wow!
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi All,

I wonder if there is a similer system available in this part of the world. everything that I've tried has not worked. I sure like the idea of the more economical sand paper sheets. What kind of sandpaper does he use that doesn't fall apart when a little preasure is added?
All the best,
Tano
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

The disc on the big one is a HERMES 30 grit aluminum oxide disc with a 1 inch hole for mounting it to the machine. The fine grit disc is sheets of the same quality folded so it suits the disc and it is pressed to the back plate. 240, 340, 400 and 600grit