Delrin Sleeve for the mortise

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Butch_Y

Delrin Sleeve for the mortise

Post by Butch_Y »

I had a pipe with a wiggly stem and dicovered an oblong mortise. What I did to fix this is inserted a delrin sleeve and re-turned the tenon to fit the sleeve. Delrin and vulcanite make a very nice fit, just as nice as delrin on briar.

With an OD of 3/8" and an ID of 5/16" there was no room for flats or grooves to help hold the sleeve. I used medium thickness CA glue rather than epoxy because I believe the CA has a higher chance of not breaking down with the heat. (this is something I've had a chance to experiment with as I screw up fittings.) Epoxies seem to break down gradually after just a bit of heat has been applied where-as CA glue needs alot of heat and will just let loose at once.

Anyone else have thoughts on any of this and is the sleeve a good idea to begin with?
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
ckr

Post by ckr »

Butch

Could just be me, but I am not sure what you did.

Is the delrin glued into the shank and the stem slips on?
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

I took a 3/8" delrin rod stock, drilled a hole thru it of 5/16" and glued this piece into the shank mortise. Basically, I just made the mortise hole smaller using delrin.
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I've done exactly that several times. Works well.
flix

Post by flix »

Sorry, Butch, have to ask a dumb question:

What is CA glue?

--Michael
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Cyanoacrylate adhesives. Fancy super glue. See the below article.

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=375
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

A quick comment on CA glue (aka super glue): it is usually fragile. Dropping the pipe can easily break the bond. The heat a mortise should experience is negligible. As such the flex of an epoxy bond generally makes it a superior choice for most pipe applications.

Just my $0.02.

Tyler
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Tyler wrote:A quick comment on CA glue (aka super glue): it is usually fragile. Dropping the pipe can easily break the bond. The heat a mortise should experience is negligible. As such the flex of an epoxy bond generally makes it a superior choice for most pipe applications.

Just my $0.02.

Tyler
I'd agree 100% I've been making Delrin sleeves for years with my pipes and I've found the best results by far are with epoxy.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

I'd agree 100% I've been making Delrin sleeves for years with my pipes and I've found the best results by far are with epoxy.
Any particular brand name you find to be the best?
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I totally agree with Tyler and Steve. I use epoxy exclusively, the brand:System Three-T88. It's a structural epoxy, heat and cold resistant,and flexible to boot! By the way, Kurt uses it as well.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Depending on the wood I need to glue I either use G2 Epoxy or 5 Cure Epoxy. Both are made by a company called Industrial Applications. You can get either or at Lee Valley Tools.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bluesmk wrote:I totally agree with Tyler and Steve. I use epoxy exclusively, the brand:System Three-T88. It's a structural epoxy, heat and cold resistant,and flexible to boot! By the way, Kurt uses it as well.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Yes, the T-88 is powerful good stuff. The only drawback is that it takes a minimum of 24 hours to cure enough to work, and sometimes as long as 48 hours. However, if you have a pile of pipes in process, you can stage things so that you're not eing held up by one operation or one pipe.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com