Corrected Pipe #5

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Heinz_D

Corrected Pipe #5

Post by Heinz_D »

Normaly I don't like to change a finished pipe at all, but one of my pipes needed a new stem, because I destroyed the original, while I tried to correct the bit with a "V" inside. Also I was told, that the symetry isn't very good...

So I made a new stem, reshaped the stummel and refinished the pipe.

This was the pipe before my corrections:

And now it looks like that:

I didn't like the applikation (buxwood) very much, so I've decided to remove it and make a longer stem insted. The stem is realy good: Extrem thin before the bit (3.8 mm) and a flat bit (4.5 mm). The bit is 2.5 mm long and 18 mm width. The pipe is very comfortable indeed!

The finish is a little bit brighter and more glossy... Any comments?
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Whoa! It got bigger!

Just kidding with you. I think it looks good. I like the color of the before but I also think it looks better with the cumberland and without the shank extention so I would say you came out a little ahead. Good job.
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

John, you're right - it is bigger. I tried to blast this one, but instead of a wild surface I got a bigger pipe... Damn, what did I wrong?! :angel:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
magruder

Post by magruder »

It looks much better.
Really a very nice pipe now. :thumb:
Best,
Steve
magruder

Post by magruder »

I forgot to add that the longer stem makes a huge difference.
The pipe has a nice, graceful look now.
It was well worth the effort.
Steve
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

What a perfect case study for the effect of stem work on the over all appearance and elegance of a pipe. From ugly duckling to swan in the blink of an eye. Well done!

Tyler
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Thank you guys again for the kind comments!

@ Steve: In natur the effect is even better then the pics can show. On the pics the pipe lays on one side and the perspective angel let's the stemm look a little bit to short and to smal in relation to the bowl - but in reallity it matches the dimensions very well.

@ Wolf: The pipe was smoked by myself (and it taste very good). The inside of the bowl has already some cake from smoking and the light seems to reflect it as a silver shine on the pics.

@ Tyler: Thank you very much! I'm glade to read this kind words from you, because I like your pipes very much!
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D