My pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PearlBee

My pipes

Post by PearlBee »

Hi to all!
I´m a woman from Czech Republic. Yesterday I found this forum and I´d like to show you my work. I´m a beginner and by then I made four pipes. Please, write me your opinion - all critique is welcome! Thanks and have a nice day!
Last edited by PearlBee on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Very nice work on all of the pipes. I especially love the shape of the first one, just looks like it would be an awesome smoker.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

PearlBee,
The second pipe is great! I like the symmetry and it looks like it is just begging for some tobacco.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Really nice work buddy. I like them all, but the second has to be my fave. There's just somthing naughty about it.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, it's hard to believe these are your first four pipes! Very nice early efforts. I like the second one the best--it is very original, but also very nice. As baweaverpipes said, it really does look like it wants to be filled up with tobacco and smoked. The first one is also very nice. They are all nice in their own way. The third one is my least favorite. I think the shank to bowl transition needs work. The shank is too thick and chunky there for my taste. I like the effect of the overhanging lip on the last one, and you did a very nice job orienting the shape with the grain.

What are you doing for the silver work? Is that your own or are you getting them from somewhere else? I especially like the silver work on the second one, but the simple band on the first one is also nice. I'd like to be able to do some metal work on my pipes sometime down the road. I'm hoping to take a jewlrey class to get me started with it.

Keep up the great work, PearlBee. I can't wait to see more of your pipes!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Very nice work PearlBee! I like them all, but I really like the first one. Nice overall shape and I like the smooth silver band.

Can't wait to see more!

David
ckr

Post by ckr »

Gotta go with door number 2! It just looks so kissable.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
PearlBee

Post by PearlBee »

Hi gentlemans! First I must say thank you for your opinions, I waited critique, and meanwhile I´m reading compliments! :oops: :D
To the silver work - real sterling silver is only the ring on the second pipe (Flower). It´s my ring, cutted and reduced. The ring on the first pipe is made from stainless steel and third pipe has hard aluminium (dural) ring, that I made from old key(it´s oval). It´s right, this pipe seems too thin, but I had very small piece of briar and I wanted try this shape :wink: .
In my opinion, dural is a perfect material for pipe-rings, can it easy grinding and buffing to high gloss.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Your skill is quite advanced for a beginner pipemaker.
Very nice pipes.
I, too, really like number two.
Congratulations on some very nice pipes.
Steve Morrisette
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

At least some mild critique:

No. 1 is a well done classic. I like it, because it does not only look like the attempt to look like it.

No. 2 is well done, though floral elements may not be on everybody's wishlist. I personally would have treated the shank/bowl junction with a much smaller radius. It almost always looks better on any pipe, and on this one it might have brought out the elegant proportions of the blossom even more.

No. 3 is OK for sort of first attempts (I have something comparably lying around in the back of my pipe drawers, but for me it lacks almost any kind of proportion. Sorry, but it is one of those shaped that are no shape at all. And I don't talk about the classic shapes, only.

No. 4 is much more interesting. It has some swing in it's lines and proportions. The flow of the bottom line of the stem and shank seems a bit unharmonic. Could have been two radiusses (radii?, radiae?, gosh – Latin plural form, or do you English speakers have a form of your own?), looks like two more or less straight lines with one bend to connect them.
The "wideneing" of the plateau area at the bowl's top looks a bit too flimsy to me. Seems like it says: "I am not sure, if I am in the right place at all, so I make myself small…".
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
madgarry

Post by madgarry »

For first attemps they are stunning, great work
The pipe is the meaning of life
PearlBee

Post by PearlBee »

Hi guys! Finally I finished 3 new pipes. Are designed for my friends.