there's a whole lot of shaking going on...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

There it is boys! The secret origin of the ostrich pipe!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I really must get a plane ticket to visit Todd.

On a serious note, how is the finish on the briar when scraping with a skew?

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I can generally get it prettly close to something like 220 grit sandpaper. However, I can never get a surface like the guys in the books and videos.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ToddJohnson wrote:
ckr wrote:
Nick wrote:After seeing my lather hope around like all get out, I bolted the thing to the wall. haven't had a problem since.

Nick,
*to the WALL* ?? Like in the leg thingys bolted in the wall and you are running the lathe sideways?
I forgot to mention that mine's actually bolted to the ceiling. It was tough getting it up there, but now I love it. Occasionally I'll get a little light-headed being upside down, but I've only actually passed out four times.

Todd
Your like the batman of pipemaking!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote:I forgot to mention that mine's actually bolted to the ceiling. It was tough getting it up there, but now I love it. Occasionally I'll get a little light-headed being upside down, but I've only actually passed out four times.
Do what they teach in flight school - grunt like you're trying to pinch a loaf. Works for me.....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tyler wrote:I really must get a plane ticket to visit Todd.

On a serious note, how is the finish on the briar when scraping with a skew?

Tyler
When the skew is sharp? Smooth as silk. It's not really equatable to sandpaper grit, but on something like a bowl or platter, I tend to scrape, then hit it with 400-grit paper and it turns out buttery. All that's left is some friction polish and it's done. But that's a different style of finish tha you find on pipes.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

This thread makes me feel much better about my limited turning success. All I've been able to manage with any finess is the skew, and I've used it on end as well as all kinds of angles between. Fantastic tool! Hoping to get a little experience with some other tools at some point, but it's hard to imagine anything being as versatile or as good for stummel turning.

Can I make pipes like Todd by turning upside down? I new there must be some trick I was missing :wink:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Nick

Post by Nick »

Duhnuhnuhnuhnuhnhunuhnuhnuhnuhnuh
TODD JOHNSON!!
(Think the Batman theme)

Holy Magnum Toddman! Look at the way Kurt handles that pipe!
Nick,
*to the WALL* ?? Like in the leg thingys bolted in the wall and you are running the lathe sideways?
Well, it may look a little odd, but the real belefit is that I can lie down while turning a bowl. After a long day of crunching numbers and chasing kids, lying down under the lathe with a nice piece of briar and a beer is just what the doctor ordered.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you all, that this is the way Trever does it! And if Trever does it that way, then we all should.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

OK, I think we are to the point of needing pictures.

Todd, Nick, you two really need to get your wives to snap a quick pic of you at work.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nick wrote:Duhnuhnuhnuhnuhnhunuhnuhnuhnuhnuh
TODD JOHNSON!!
(Think the Batman theme)

Holy Magnum Toddman! Look at the way Kurt handles that pipe!
I know what you're thinking. "Did he smoke six bowls or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .875 Magnum, the most powerful tobacco chambering in the world, and would spin your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel like Penzance or Cobb Flake? Well, which do ya, punk?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ckr

Post by ckr »

Shoulda signed

Kurt Huhnwood