The Hunt for Moby Contiues

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
geigerpipes

The Hunt for Moby Contiues

Post by geigerpipes »

I Started this project a little over a year ago and now it is only half done

It is a weird challenging and fun work that I doubt I will undertake in the same manner again once done...

A spanish customer who first ordered a pipe but then desided he wanted a 7 days set inspired by the Moby Dick tale!!

Originally he was to design all the pipes and tampers but after making the first I opted that I would redesign them to fit my likings and teqneques of working as the Geiger stamp was going to be put on them I wanted to feel satisfied with how they turned out and knowing how things are to be done is more important than how you want the finished product to look ...

The result has been a cooperation in design where we swapped drawings untill both where satisfied..

The set is purchased one pipe at a time and I just finished number 2 and 3 and thought you would like a look at this nearly half way done 7 day set
I think I posted the first on PM forums when it was made, here is nr. 2-3

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Holy crap, Love. Both are absolutely stunning. Ahab's pipe is beyond stunning, in fact. I friggin' love them both.

:notworthy:

Where did you have the silver ring made?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Thx Kurt I'm happy you like them .. Ahabs pipe is the first one that me and Sara designed so it is of cource the one we are most pleased with..

The rings as with the logo pipe rings are designed by us and molded By famely member David who is a wedding ring maker in the states... this last shipment has been a bit troublesome though with hidden air pockets (hence the rusticated parts)

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
ckr

Post by ckr »

Love,

You are truely an artisian of extraordinary ability. It amazes me how you can come out with pipe after pipe and all are absolute knock-outs. It is even more difficult to comprehend how you can do this when you have to crunch some serious numbers to put food on the table and pay the mortgage.

This guy is getting one-hellava set of pipes, I look forward to the next 5 of the series. If he isn't broke he should also commission you for a stand as part of the set.

Alright, I have just questions.

If I get one of those funny trailers and put it in my back yard will my pipes come out like yours?

Is your lathe mounted on the ceiling also?

:lol:
Fumo in pace :pipe:
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Love, I am just about speechless...

The first pipe makes the hair on my neck stand up, you are one hell of a pipe maker and an outstanding artisan!

BRAVO to you and Sara!!!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Thank you Gents for the kind words... :oops:

Ckr: If you should get one of thouse funny trailers you would have to bolt the lathe to the sealing in order for it to fit...Seriously I abandoned the Wagon as a workshop 2 years ago when I had the possiblity to move it into our house.its just my webpage that is badly in need of updates..but It was a great source of inspiration and cause of claustrophobia...but hey now i can skip the mini and midi mashines alltogheter :P
Smoke in peace!!

Love
magruder

Post by magruder »

Beautiful pipes and tampers. I especially like the cutty and tamper. Very clever indeed.
My congratulations.
Steve Morrisette
magruder

Post by magruder »

BTW LOVE,
how did you do the finish on the cutty?
Thanx,
Steve Morrisette
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Steve

Shallow Nail Rustication as there is not to much wood to play around with- then i quickly went over it with a little sandblasting to soften it up 2 coulor stain and a little zapon laquer ontop of that did the trick
Smoke in peace!!

Love
magruder

Post by magruder »

thanx Love.
it'sa very nice finish.
Steve
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, like everyone else here I am completely in awe of these beautiful pipes. Ahab's Pipe is simply fantastic! You and Sara are to be congratulated on this beautiful design. What a fantastic team! The silver work on both the pipes and tampers is wonderful. I love the design of the pipe rings.

What a great idea to use the Moby Dick theme for a seven day set. I loved that book too. Very few pipe makers could pull this off in such amazing style and beauty. I can't wait to see the rest of the set!
Last edited by sethile on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Tano

Post by Tano »

Truly spectacular!!!

It is like watching a master performance by a great artist. Personal style, excecution. and presentation.
My congratulations and admiration.
All the best,
Tano
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Love, you nailed Ahab! No question about it, that's him! Beautiful!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Damn buddy,

I am sure I sound exactly like everyone else, but those two pipes kick ass. Ahab's pipe is just dead on. I can totally see him with that pipe. And the harpooner's cutty is just exceptional. I love both. I think I favor the cutty, but its darn close. Are you going to do Stubb's pipe? There are just so many great images in that book for pipes.

I hope your girls are doing great.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Man, no words can describe . . . Awesome pix too!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
marks

Post by marks »

Both pipes are stunning, Love
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Love,
Bravo Maestro! Bravissimo!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
madgarry

Post by madgarry »

Theres only one thing I can say. WOW
The pipe is the meaning of life
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

These are the essence of why we love our pipes! They represent in us our imaginations. Each of us could look at these and draw a mental image of ourselves as Ahab! They take us straight into the heart of the story!
Whatever the price paid in aggrevation and sweating blood to get them just right is worth every second!
Truly works of art, that will forever lie in the "special cut above" catagory!
I hope that this will not be a ignorant or offensive question But,
If you should decide to make another set, on the same theme I would gladly commision the entire seven day set. Sight unseen on the rest!.

I hope that is not out of line. And I am serious. Please feel free to email me privatley to dicuss this or the design of another Seven day set on commision!

You are an inspiration!
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Wilbur

I sent you a PM about your request but I just recalled reading somewhere that people had troubles sending PMs If you did not recive it please email me about it as I can't find yours anywhere
Smoke in peace!!

Love