Some pipes break your heart

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Some pipes break your heart

Post by KurtHuhn »

I finished this one recently:

It was going to be my highest grade, when a nasty flaw opened up on the junction between bowl and shank. I almost blasted the entire thing, but I just couldn't bring myself to hide the grain. I was pissed about it for a couple days, then decided to do a little spot rustication. I normally hate spot rustication, but I wanted to preserve all the grain detail I could.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Oh man, do I ever feel your pain on that one, Kurt!

Timely post for me, actually. I've been depressed after finishing three that all have major flaws, but none of them were going to be as nice as this one of yours! Another one before these I just had to toss. Seems like I've had a really bad run. I've just got to lay in some better brair. :shock:

This is still a beautiful pipe, Kurt. I'm glad you saved it with the spot rustification. It would be too hard to loose all that grain!
Last edited by sethile on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
flix

Post by flix »

"I feel your pain"
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Ah Kurt!

That one spot really doesn't look bad. The rest of the pipe is so beautiful it just seems to be a flair of art you added on purpose. Man I have not had that happen to me yet and it still is killing me!
Wilbur
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

The aesthetics of the rustication are great. The flaw was positioned where it gives the pipe great eye appeal.
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Kurt,
In looking at some briar online obviously you can't really get a good look at the quality of the briar, but they do have different names which I assume reflects the probability of a higher grain.

What would briar like that be called? And how many grades will you find that are named?

Wilbur
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

That sucks, Kurt.

As heartbreaking as it is, I would have blasted the shit out of that pipe, just to show it what I thought of its freakin' flaw! Looks like some seriously nice ring grain would have appeared.

I would have left that beautiful birdseye bowl rim smooth, though. :wink:

Rad
ckr

Post by ckr »

That is a crying shame that it showed itself at the final stages, especially since it was to destined to make it into your Nobleman line. It is still an awesome pipe and I am sure it will find a nice home.

If it were mine I would have to name it the "Ex", very beautiful with deeply hidden flaws that were not apparent until it was too late. And the fact that it is also calling to me. :evil:

Just curious, how long is the thin portion of that bit?
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Nick

Post by Nick »

That's aweful Kurt. You know what would make you feel better though? Sending that pipe, along with a generous helping of tobacco to some poor suck-ass pipe maker just to show him how it ought to be done. But who?? Ohh! I know! How about me?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wilbur wrote:Kurt,
In looking at some briar online obviously you can't really get a good look at the quality of the briar, but they do have different names which I assume reflects the probability of a higher grain.

What would briar like that be called? And how many grades will you find that are named?
That's pretty close to a perfect grain - strong contrast, straight pattern, incredible birdseye, etc. The problem was that one flaw - and you can never account for that. That particular briar is from Briar Grains, and it's his Tassili grade (highest).

The "nobleman" grade is my highest grade, according to my grading system.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:As heartbreaking as it is, I would have blasted the shit out of that pipe, just to show it what I thought of its freakin' flaw! Looks like some seriously nice ring grain would have appeared.
I may yet. If it isn't sold in the next couple of weeks, that's exactly what I'll do. And then *I* will smoke it. The ultimate "take that you...".
I would have left that beautiful birdseye bowl rim smooth, though. :wink:
That birdseye is the best part! I wish the entire pipe was covered in it. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ckr wrote:If it were mine I would have to name it the "Ex", very beautiful with deeply hidden flaws that were not apparent until it was too late. And the fact that it is also calling to me. :evil:

Just curious, how long is the thin portion of that bit?
The saddle is about 1.25" long (about 31mm). And it's still available:
http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipes/cityman/dublin22.php

It will be announced to ASP later tonight, and added to the site-at-large tomorrow morning.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com