"denatured alcohol"

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
peejay

"denatured alcohol"

Post by peejay »

Just ordered some dyes from over the water in the usa, they have to be mixed with denatured alcohol.....Over here in the UK I cant seem to locate it. Does anyone in the UK know of a supplier or a substitute. I was told it is methylated spirits but this is stained purple over here. Any ideas?
thanks
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hey Peejay,

Have you tried the hardware or DIY store? Denatured alcohol is used for thinning shellac, so you should be able to find it there.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It may also be called ethyl acohol or methyl acohol. In a pinch, you can use any 190-proof hard liquor - though that may get expensive.

The reason why it's called "denatured alcohol" here in the US is because they add a small amount of additives to make it no longer fit for human consumption. What we get here is basically ethyl acohol with gasoline added - goodness knows our government doesn't want us drinking from tin cans we get at the hardware store.... :shock:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

KurtHuhn wrote:It may also be called ethyl acohol or methyl acohol. In a pinch, you can use any 190-proof hard liquor - though that may get expensive.

The reason why it's called "denatured alcohol" here in the US is because they add a small amount of additives to make it no longer fit for human consumption. What we get here is basically ethyl acohol with gasoline added - goodness knows our government doesn't want us drinking from tin cans we get at the hardware store.... :shock:
Gasoline? Egads, where do you get your denatured alcohol?

Around here, methanol is the poisonous additive of choice.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The local mom-n-pop hardware store. Though, that may not be exactly correct, since I'm going on what the person behind the counter was telling me....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I'm going on what the person behind the counter was telling me....
Never believe the person behind the counter. They generally have no idea. :P

I'm pretty sure my denatured alcohol doesn't have any gasoline in it. I've tried huffing it, and nothing happens. :wink:

Rad
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

You mean we aren't supposed to drink it?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:Never believe the person behind the counter. They generally have no idea. :P
Yes, mistake #1.
I'm pretty sure my denatured alcohol doesn't have any gasoline in it. I've tried huffing it, and nothing happens. :wink:
And Google has proven me wrong. :oops:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Kurt, you are not totally wrong. Gasoline has been used as a chemical substance to "denature" ethyl alcohol. Although I believe it is banned from use in the United States. But it is still used in some countries.

Back to peejay's original question. Some countries do dye the alcohol, or methylated spirits. UK must be one of them. You might talk to a furniture maker. They may be able to help you find some without the dye in it. Or go with Kurt's suggestion of 190 proof hard liquor. Or buy alcohol based leather dyes.
Nick

Post by Nick »

You could also use water based dyes.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Thanks gents. I was hoping someone from the UK might know of a supplier. Over here it is regulated by customs and excise!!! Anyway Someone else suggested surgical spirits or turps ..Does this sound right.
Someone also suggested vodka....I like that idea but would need to do the mixing before temptation got the better of me