If you could only have one lathe what would it be and why?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
jeeper

If you could only have one lathe what would it be and why?

Post by jeeper »

I tried a search but was unable to narrow my search I guess. I’m looking to invest in a lathe I have seen many of types used even name brands given but I’m looking for which type is the one that can do the most work or would be the best investment up front. I see folks that have three types, wood, metal, micro and they seem to do a different job. I have sanding and buffing stations already so the lathe wouldn’t be my primary tool for that. I would like to turn stummels and stems. Also I see different chucks I see where a two jawed is needed for the stummel and a three or four jaw to turn stems but can’t that all be done with a four jaw chuck? Thank You for suffering a Newbie’s questions.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Easy...I'd get the Jet metal lathe. I don't remember the model number, but several of the guys have them and will pipe in with it, I'm sure.

Why that one? It'll do everything you need and it it relatively inexpensive.

Tyler
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I use the Jet 9 x 20 lathe.

You can't turn stummels with a 4 jaw chuck. This is why some guys have 2 or more lathes. Changing chucks for every operation gets tiresome.

You can do stems with a 3 jaw chuck, but a 4 jaw is preferable, especially if you're turning molded stems.

Rad
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

RadDavis wrote:
You can't turn stummels with a 4 jaw chuck. This is why some guys have 2 or more lathes. Rad
Isn't there 4 jawed chucks with independent jaws so you can back out two or are they still in the way?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Well, yeah, you can back out two opposing jaws, but they're too short to reliably hold a briar block firmly enough to work it. You can do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Most guys have extensions welded onto their existing jaws, or use a Lamb Chuck.

Removing jaws, and replacing chucks for different operations would be a huge pain.

Rad
Last edited by RadDavis on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

What Rad said.

I use 2 different lathes now. A Jet 9x20 metal lathe for stummels (a OneWay Stronghold chuck with custom jaws) and a little Taig for stems. At some point this year, I hope to replace the Taig with a bigger lathe.
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

RadDavis wrote:Well, yeah, you can back out two opposing jaws, but they're too short to reliably hold a briar block firmly enough to work it. You can do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Most guys have extensions welded onto their existing jaws, or use a Lamb Chuck.

Removing jaws, and replacing chucks for different operatins would be a huge pain.

Rad
That makes sense, I did see a shot of someones Lathe with extention welded on. So thats where that other I thinks called a one way ??? chuck comes into play?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe ... 0_1624.htm

Is my current pipe dream (pun intended). It would do everything I need to do, and then some. I had a chance to "test drive" one at the local Woodcraft. What a *magnificent* piece of machinery!!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

If I had to choose only one though I'd chose a 9 / 20 metalworking lathe with a 3 jaw, a 2 jaw and a 4 jaw chuck for square stock. A 3 jaw scrolling chuck really helps for round stock. I actually really like having a little Taig and my larger Metalworking lathe though. I like the Taig for making my stems and finer work while the larger lathe is great for drilling and shaping. During the course of making a pipe I usually use both.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

So I'm looking for a metal lathe and at least two chucks 4 and 3 jawed, I will start hitting the auctions.
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

kurt showed his dream lathe

here is mine www.oneway.on.ca

the 1640 model just XXXX.XX to go

jim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jeez, I thought we were talking about stuff we can actually afford! If that's not the case, I want the 2436. Anything less is just... not manly. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com